Head Light and Beam Pattern

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
UKMXV6

Head Light and Beam Pattern

Post by UKMXV6 »

Hi

Since I had a BMW parked in the side of me car and the randoms at the insurance place reconstructed the front and the head lights, it has been a bit bog eyed to say the least. The right hand head light seems to be pointing down more than it should and when I remove and replace the bulb the whole (not sure how else to describe it) reflective housing of the bulb pivots a bit to freely for my liking from left to right. Could anyone tell me how to get at this to re-attach it to what it should be, and also what kind of beam pattern should I see on me garage wall?

Hope this makes sense, and some one can help me out.

Thanks
Taras

Re: Head Light and Beam Pattern

Post by Taras »

Here are few sites that will describe how to aim your E-codes properly : Autooptiks Site
Daniel Stern Lighting Site

As far as you being able to move the inside reflector. I think that one of your adjustment screws muct have popped out. Try seeing what way does it move. Up/Down or Left/Right. Try getting the thread on the adjustment screw to catch it back. I would place the bulb in there. Clip both of the bulb holder springs. Pull on the base of the bulb and turn the screw in the counter-clockwise direction.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
UKMXV6

Post by UKMXV6 »

Thanks sounds good to me, will give it a bash once the rain has stopped and me boss is not looking out the window at the car park.

Cheers :D
HFStuart

Post by HFStuart »

I've just been though this with both my lights.

1st thing to do is check whether the adjuster screws move the reflector at all - if they do then fairly obviously the threads are still engaged. The third mounting point is a stud/ball socket towards the upper & outer edge of the unit, you can see it if you peer though the clear top of the lens. If you're very lucky you may be able to pull it back together with the light still in the car. More likely you'll need to take it out and warm it up in an airing cupboard or something before the stud will pop back into place. If you have the light out you'll be able to check out the other adjusters too.

Caution - if the reflector is cold it is quite possible to break it while trying to get it back into position.

Good luck

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”