your opinions on LED taillight bulbs

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
marshmallow15

your opinions on LED taillight bulbs

Post by marshmallow15 »

what is your opinion on 1157 12 LED taillight bulbs? ive been thinking of getting them because im tired of replacing broken light bulbs in my taillights. anyone have opinions on these?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Re: your opinions on LED taillight bulbs

Post by atlantamx3 »

I hate them.

They are not very bright.

The last time I was behind someone that had them, I almost rammed them because I could not tell that they were applying the brake.

My advice:

Dont buy them.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

are you talking about LED bulbs? or a car with OE led taillights like some cadillacs and etc?
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i have them and they are dull, mainly because on how there designed they dont work with how our light fittings work
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

LED's are only good for the front turning signals and side markers in our cars. If you want to put them on your tails, you need to drill a hole horizontally so they can be seen.

later,
dee :2thumbsup:
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

Also good for the third brake light.
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

ugh that's geh. thanks for the warning guys.
- team slideways
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Another warning about them. A buddy of mine had some on his Protege...they were brighter, but the used less voltage than the stock bulbs.

You might think this isn't a big deal, but he later realized that his cruise control wouldn't work properly. You know how if you are cruising, you press the brake to deactivate the cc? Well he said that the voltage these things drew was so low, that the CC wouldn't disengage when you pressed the brake. I guess the CC brain is wired into the brake lights.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by marshmallow15:
are you talking about LED bulbs? or a car with OE led taillights like some cadillacs and etc?
No, I am talking about the aftermarket bulbs.

I love the new Cadillacs with the LED taillights OEM-- those are BADDDDD!!!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Blindmelon

Post by Blindmelon »

Stock tailight bulbs as we know are usually clear. A buddy of mine changed his to red APC bulbs and they took his tailights from an orangy/red to a bright deep red and it looks really good. Just thought I would mention this as an alternative to the LEDs.
Second place is the first loser.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Yes, but..... they will be at least 6-10lm less in output. Probably will not going to make a difference at night, but on a bright sunny day, someone might miss you braking. The things we do for "looks good" :shrug:
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Thanks Jeff,

I would not call myself an expert as I am still learning. Here is what I have gathered so far.

Regular 5mm LED's put out about 1-2lm, depends on colour and viewing angle. Your 1157 and others put out 300-400lm. You need about 300-450 regular LED's to be in the same range. Aftermarket twist-in LED bulbs have bteween 12-30 5mm LED's. YOu do the math. Although more and more brighter oned get developed. Another thing the "twinst-in" LED bulbs do not have is the viewing angle. THey are pretty direct and if you stand to the side, you may not see them, unless your plastic reflector is efficient.

LED's are cool. Because they light up so fast and the driver behind you can see you brake sooner. Milliseconds, but it counts.

There are really cool LED's avalable. Lumileds. www.lumileds.com I beleive that is what OEM such as BMW, Nissan, Cadillac, Lexus and some motorcycle manufacturers use. You need about 10-20 Lumiled Luxeon SuperFlux for a marker light intensity. But look at Luxeon Star And Luxeon III. 80lm per LED. Now we are talking. Of course intensity and life of your LED will vary with Amperage you load on it too.

Grote www.grote.com also uses LED's in their truck modules. I bet those are Luxeon SuperFlux ones. They look like ones.

Have you looked at www.radiantz.com ? May give you a few ideas. But it is for cruiser bikes though. Pricey too.

I think the price of Luxeon LED's will come down in price some time soon so you can buy 50 or so and do a good retrofit on a car. Bike, may be 15-20. I've seen some newer ones use LED as well. Otherwise I would try to find some to retrofit from:
Here
Grote
BuyTruckStuff
I would be placing my bets on Grote stuff as, although unconfirmed, I think they use Lumiled stuff. Hopefully you could fit their 4" module. May be two marker modules?

I think this is all I can come up with right now.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Where to buy Luxeon products:
Future Electronics
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

whitep5...why ressurect a thread started by marsh 2 years ago????

on top of that, he's promoting some ghey LED bulb website like a spammer
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”