Projector Mounting Question!!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Midnight.Son

Re: Projector Mounting Question!!

Post by Midnight.Son »

You can order the (clear or smoke) GT Styling Covers from Pep Boys. I just got a set about a month ago.
1994 Mx-3 RS Automatic & 1993 MX-3 GS manual
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

really?? and the covers are clear? but wait.. what are these "covers" you are talkin about? like plastic or film? and i would mold them to the right size? or do the pep boys' ones come the right size? this sounds really interesting! :D and not too expensive or hard to do! either way i gotta have clear. lol and yea that sanding in a small square or circluar area would be a possiblity too. i've seen some cars like that.. where the projectors have a square or clear lense, and right next to it is a normal reflecting high beam, with lines. :p crazy stuff!! ok well thanx for the more info! still.. waiting.. for.. headlights.. to come. -_-zZ ahh i wanna try this stuff!
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Ok, I sent off three pictures to the people who asked me for them. Check your emails. :)

Criticize or comment all you want.
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Eek sorry Aiden but I wasn't following the thread fully till now....think I could bother you for some pic too?

Thanks,

Eugene
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by Eugene H.:
Eek sorry Aiden but I wasn't following the thread fully till now....think I could bother you for some pic too?

Thanks,

Eugene
Sure, what's your email address?
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

ok I have a question, you said you replaced the u-shaped bracket with an L bracket how did you mount that L bracket? Did you attach one side to the top of the projector and bolt it somewhere or did you bolt it to the bottom of the projector? Also would water proof type of tape be better to hold the projector in on the backside or is water damage not a worry?

Lastly I have a general lighting question, are Valeros the same thing as the audi RS6 bi-xennon lights that JDM has or are they different?
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
1993 VW Corrado SLC- completely stock. (May she R.I.P)
Taras

Post by Taras »

Audi RS6 bi-xenon projector are made by Hella and are no different than Audi A6 (02+), MB M430/ML55, Porsche Turbo to name a few. A second generation of this projector is used in all Xenon equipped Mercedes' 2003+ (except M class) and BMW 7 series. It is said to be one of the best projector in xenon light quality and spread.

Valeo is one of the three main Xenon projector manufacturer's (Hella, Bosch, Valeo) that supply OEM market. They make Audi A4/S4 and all Saab projectors as far as I can remember. Very nice small projectors that make beautiful colour especially in E-code version.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by mxer4eva:
ok I have a question, you said you replaced the u-shaped bracket with an L bracket how did you mount that L bracket
Is that question addressed to me?
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

Yes it was, i thought i read at the bottom of your email that you changed from a u bracket to a L shaped one.
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
1993 VW Corrado SLC- completely stock. (May she R.I.P)
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Aiden:

Please email to [email]aishi@rogers.com" target="_blank[/email]

Thanks!

Eugene
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by mxer4eva:
Yes it was, i thought i read at the bottom of your email that you changed from a u bracket to a L shaped one.
Oh, no. Not exactly.

I still use L-brackets to mount the projector to the housing. I changed them though to studier ones. I have to change them again though to re-aim the damn things since my stock brackets are broken and the plastic aimers are stripped.

The U-bracket I was using was just to hold down the front of the projector because I made the original L-brackets too weak. It's not there anymore because I don't need it anymore.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by Aiden:
I have to change them again though to re-aim the damn things since my stock brackets are broken and the plastic aimers are stripped.
Aiden,

If your stock aiming screws are broken. I would just unscrew the three screws that hold the mechanism. Plastic worm-gears there are just pathetic. You will find just an aiming rod. Find a nice round handle of sorts and use JB Weld or other epoxy to make new ones. :)
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by JDM:
Originally posted by Aiden:
I have to change them again though to re-aim the damn things since my stock brackets are broken and the plastic aimers are stripped.
Aiden,

If your stock aiming screws are broken. I would just unscrew the three screws that hold the mechanism. Plastic worm-gears there are just pathetic. You will find just an aiming rod. Find a nice round handle of sorts and use JB Weld or other epoxy to make new ones. :)
Not sure if I know what you mean there.

I know about the aiming rods - that whole set-up is pathetic, but what did you mean by making new ones?

One what? And how??

If I could solve that problem, it would solve three more for me.
Taras

Post by Taras »

You know howthere is a long bolt that you use to adjust the lights. The bolt turns the rod through a 90 degree worm gear mechanism inside the little box on the back of the headlight. There are two. Up-down, right-left. Take the boxes off (three screws). You will have just two rods about 1cm in lenght sticking out. You usually would turn it with the pliers to adjust if you take your boxes off. I thought to attach something like a propane tank valve handle, but smaller. I suggest use an epoxy (JB Weld?). That way you do not have to have new adjustment mechanisms, just modify old ones and use your hands to adjust. Hope that clarifies.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Oh, yeah I see what you mean now.

Unfortunately that's not my problem.

My problem is the white plastic "swivel" thingies are stripped.

They're the ones inside the "holes" on the headlights housing itself that the adjustment screw-bolts screw into.

They don't have the thread on them anymore so they're useless. I can move the headlight around with my hand, with should not happen.

I'd need new plastic thingies to fix my problem.

PS: My headlights are being aimed up by a wood block jammed between the headlights and the car. Looks like crap, but it's the only way I can keep the headlights up since the plastic thingies are stripped. It really sucks.

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: Aiden ]</small>

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”