1.6L performance. Where to start?

Do you have an MX-3 related item for sale? Post a quick note here.
Cybin

1.6L performance. Where to start?

Post by Cybin »

Okay, I need help. I've had my Mx-3 for about 6 months now and have been trying to plan out a way to get 125hp out of the 1.6L engine without a NOS kit. I'm thinking it may be impossible. Guide offers head porting and polishing and a thottle body but with the price ringing in at $2,000 is it worth it? This takes us to adding a turbo-I don't think the rods and pistons could handle the boost. Now this brings me to an engine swap. Of couse from what I read, nothing will bolt into the engine mounts and run off the stock computer. Bummer. Does anyone else have suggestions-comments. I'm starting to think I might have to sell the car and buy an Integra (And look like everyone else)<P>-Cybin
farney

Re: 1.6L performance. Where to start?

Post by farney »

First of all, do you have the DOHC or the SOHC model MX-3? There are a few more parts available for the DOHC model than there are for the SOHC. If you engine has a number of miles on it, which i'm sure it does, a turbo is probably not the right solution....but neither is nitrous. $2000 is way too much for the gains you could expect to experience from the 1.6. Mostly you are either stuck with a slower car or you will have to buy a different car, which I don't reccommend. If indeed you do have the SOHC model, I used a G-Tech meter and only got 89HP, trying to get 36 more HP without nitrous and a turbo could be a problem.
White 1992 MX-3 RS. Pacesetter exhaust, custom intake, and custom rear lower tie bar.
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

Your right I do have a SOHC with about 90,000 miles on it. I'm really starting to think that a swap would be the only way to go. I'm thinking about a B6T but I'm trying to find info on the engine and about the swap. <P>-Cybin
Racer X

Post by Racer X »

Cybin,<P> I bring good news about the B6T swap, everything is a bolt in pretty much. About two months ago we swapped in a B6T in place of my 1.6 SOHC in my 93'. Everything worked so well I still have my A/C and power steering. The hood is a definite problem though, you will have to cut a hole to clear the intake but the right scoop will cover that no problem. I'm going to be running a front mount intercooler so I'm going to do some creative cutting to clearance the bumper cover, that's probably the most difficult thing we'll have to do on it so far. I road race mine at a track that I work at and it's alot of fun. Well good luck on whatever you decide, if you have any more questions let me know and I'll try to help out if I can.<P> Chris
93' MX3 turbo<BR>My street legal racer<BR>00'ZX2 S/R<BR>Track tested
farney

Post by farney »

Cybin, let me know if you find out any info on the B6T swap and information about the engine in general. It sounds very promising to swap in that engine. If you know what car that engine originally came from, that would help too.<P>Thanks<BR>farney
White 1992 MX-3 RS. Pacesetter exhaust, custom intake, and custom rear lower tie bar.
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

Racer X- Your god! I'm really thinking that a swap is the only solution.<P>Let's add this up. If the stock tranny can be used thats great-super easy. Although a limited slip differential would be better. That means the drive line (cv joints, shift linkage, ect) sould also work. The engine hood clearance will be a problem. The intake/throttle body sit up to far (I'm guessing). Like you said nothing a hood scoop won't fix. I got two questions for you:<P>1. What did you do for engine mounts?<BR>2. How are you going to handle the computer<BR> and fuel systems?<P>Front mount intercooler--Very nice. Are you having one special made? Come to think of it a silver intercooler behind one of corksports airdam kits would look the business.<P>Price wise I see that corksport sells B6T engines for $799 (I think), F-con from HKS, Higher flow fuel pump, Intercooler, Ignition sytem, and lot's of little stuff. Maybe if I'm careful I could bring this all in at under $2,250. <P>Performance wise-I'm looking at going from 89hp to 135hp with the potential for much more.<P>Any opinions?<BR>-Cybin<P><BR>
renef

Post by renef »

Dude, you're going in the wrong direction to achieve a simple 125hp.<P>I suggest you make a list of what is needed to get your car into shape before making power mods. I say this only because I have been through every possible mod anyone here can think of. <P>The 1.6 SOHC MX-3 is a pain in the a-- to properly tune and to work on.<P>1. Have you done a complete tune up?<BR>2. Have you checked the chassis and had it tightened?<BR>3. Have you checked your suspension, swaybars, bushings, CV joints, bearings?<BR>4. Have you checked your clutch and gears?<P>Until you do all of this first, don't expect to get ANY power from your ride. The B6E engine is picky about what you do to it. The transmission is also a pain just to get it out of the engine bay let alone trying to upgrade it.<P>Send me an email and I can tell you in detail the expensive horrors I've been through to get to 220hp.<P>Think it out and plan your moves before you spend your money.<P>Rene<P>------------------<BR>White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
renef

Post by renef »

Hi there,<P>Regarding your B6T swap, I'm part of an MX-3 club out here and everyone wants to know how you did the swap and how long it took.<P>Did you need to buy anything extra besides the engine? Mounts, cables, bolts, nuts, sensors, etc...?<P>We are about to call Corksport and buy at least two B6T's so please share your recipe for MX-3 delight... Image<P>ferrer_rene@hotmail.com<BR><P>------------------<BR>White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"

Return to “MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade”