Auto trans problem...

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
RideLoudAndFast

Auto trans problem...

Post by RideLoudAndFast »

haveing problems with my trans... ok, heres the scoop... i can drive my car fine as long as i go through all the gears manualy with the overdrive off.. but when i have the overdrive on, the entire car shacks from a dead stop and reves up and doesnt go far/fast at all untill u get going... any thoughts :shrug: ?

<small>[ October 17, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: RideLoudAndFast ]</small>
RideLoudAndFast

Re: Auto trans problem...

Post by RideLoudAndFast »

anyone :sadwavey:
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

You can drive fine if you manually shift but if you let it shift itself, it shakes and takes forever to accelerate? (just making sure I understand)....I would guess and say either the valve body and/or the torque converter...?

Does it slip at all? If not the clutch packs are probably ok, which brings us back to where we began. Could be an ATX ECU problem. Maybe. It could be several things really.

Assuming you have already checked the fluid level (engine on, run it through P,R,N,D,2,1, then back to P, keep engine idling while checking) and fluid doesnt smell burnt or look brown. If so, change the fluid right away and prepare to be stranded on the side of the road in a few days/weeks and start saving for your new tranny.

Sorry I think you need a pro to look at it. Of course you know what their answer will be. Sorry couldnt help more.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Like guyaverage said, it could be several of those things. Sounds like to me there is torque converter problems but the fluid may be bad as well.

You really need to take it to a tranny shop to check it out, the sooner the better, don't keep driving with it this way because it is likely only to get worse.

Return to “Transmissions”