Tranny about to die... Need advice to save my MX-3!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Tranny about to die... Need advice to save my MX-3!

Post by Jovian2k »

Hey guys. I posted before about my AT Transmission acting up. It would shift hard between 2-3 and now it is reving high in reverse sometimes. I guess it can only get worse so I am trying to see what my options are to save my 93 MX-3 RS.

I would like a BPT anyways, so if I was to swap the engine and get a 5 spd protege tranny like I would need, that might work
or
Is there any way I can get a 5 spd protege transmission that will work with my 1.6 SOHC until I have enough $ to swap to a BP/BPT??

I am a bit inexperienced and am desperate on keepin my baby let me know what you guys would do in my situation (keep in mind I'm a college kid so I don't have too much $ but I would spend as much as needed to save my MX-3)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/236191
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread

Re: Tranny about to die... Need advice to save my MX-3!

Post by Guest »

I also have a 93 mdel with a auto and the best thing I can tell you is to call the salvage yards in your area and if they have it, it should cost you around 300 up to 400 dollars. But make sure to put a transmission cooler on it and change your tranny fluid at least every other month. These trannies for our type of car seem to be pretty sensitve for most owners.......... But this is what I reccommend.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Every other month?? :eek:

Geez... maybe if he was pulling a boat! 'Scuze me while I go look up the meaning of the word 'overkill'........

You certainly arent going to hurt anything by doing it that often (except your wallet) but with an auxiliary cooler 10,000-15,000 miles would be MORE than fine, even longer (2x or more) if using synthetic fluid.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
Dave Rocque

Post by Dave Rocque »

For sure. With a sandwich ATX cooler you should only have to change your tranny juice once a year. As well to make sure they pull all 8 L out of the entire tranny system. Synthetic is certainly more expensive but better in the long run for heat transference, heat of course being the bane of our ATXs.

Return to “Transmissions”