Weird 2nd-3rd upshift

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Weird 2nd-3rd upshift

Post by Jovian2k »

I have a 93 RS (auto). It has pretty low miles (just hit 70k)and has been very well kept up and no problems until recently. I have encountered that when my car is running cold, from overnight or a long time sitting, I find it shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear very strangly. It shifts and it sort of catches and does accelerate a little, however the engine revs very high as if it has slipped . After running the car for a while it is fine and has no problems but It does this every morning, even after I warm it up for a few minutes. I am thinking of installing an auto transmission cooler anyways...let me know what you guys think I should do; I love my mx3 and dont want to lose it :( !!!
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Re: Weird 2nd-3rd upshift

Post by Jovian2k »

I also have an remote start I want to install which will hopefully help until I fix it...but I dont want to see my mx this way! Help, thanks
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
guyaverage

Re: Weird 2nd-3rd upshift

Post by guyaverage »

Have you done a fluid and filter change recently, or ever? Start there. It could be a variety of things causing this problem, none of them easily checked unless you know exactly what you are doing.

A tranny cooler is always a good idea, but it helps prevent problems, it wont fix them (unless overheating is the specific problem). This slipping yours has could be a plugged filter, contaminated fluid, low fluid pressure, clutch pack wear, the list goes on. In a Mazda tranny, I fear the worst.

Start with the fluid/filter change though. Also if you retain the factory radiator 'cooler' flush it out to get any crap out of it too before you add the aftermarket one. It could be plugged up.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen

Return to “Transmissions”