1st 2.5L engine swap in an ATX complete!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MAZDASPEED STEVE

1st 2.5L engine swap in an ATX complete!

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

Well I finally got my mx back from Mazda yesterday- 2 months after I started the swap-and 8 months since I stored it for the winter! Oh how I've missed my car.<BR>I love it even more now with the 2.5L in it! And I can actually squak the tires now without having to do a neutral drop! :D <BR>This could possibly be the first 2.5L auto MX-3?<BR>My only concern is that it heats up really quick, is this normal? <P>Have a Great Day fellow mx-3ers I am! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
Andrew_Pakula

Re: 1st 2.5L engine swap in an ATX complete!

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

I really wouldn't do too many neutral drops if I were you otherwise your ATX will be dead pretty soon.<P>You might be the first person to do the 2.5 swap for an auto, I have yet to hear off anyone else doing it.<P>I know you are probably really happy with the extra power but be warned you'll probably blow the ATX a lot sooner than normal even if you aren't doing neutral drops.<P>From my experience the ATX's are just too shitty and can't take the power it's getting.
MAZDASPEED STEVE

I alrady have a B&M tranny cooler which helps out alot. Other than that the 2.5L only has 45 ft.lbs more torque than the 1.8L. That's ones main concern, is how the torque converter holds up, and concidering my tranny is brand new (30,000kms) I figure I'll get a good run out of her.<BR>I deffinately have to move the battery to the trunk soon though, my intake setup is sucking in way to much hot air and the engine is running hot. :eek:
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
ausDriver

Post by ausDriver »

Is a 1.8 to 2.5L conversion on an ATX worth the money? I want more power, but i'm stuck with my auto (which i like driving). I'm thinking about getting a manual 30x n a few years, as nothing really beats the exterior shape for the 13-16k they are asking for it here in Australia. What's the hp on the converted auto?
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

For a good investment i would trade in the auto for a manual and then swap in the 2.5L... there is a big diff in getting out the pwr. The HP would be same in both as its the same engine.... its just a matter of getting the pwr faster. The neutral to drive is definitely a bad idea... even for a new tranny... just my 2 cent ^^
And there is alot of auto 2.5s out there so i doubt ur the first.
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Wow I can't believe this topic was reopened after so many months!
I know I wasn't the first, but possibly one of the first? I know Kevin Gettens has a ZE auto. still?
I never did neutral drops with the 2.5L, once with the 1.8L with the old tranny. I'm usually pro auto, but unless you're going to invest alot of money into the tranny as well, you might as well do what Soulflare suggested.
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
ausDriver

Post by ausDriver »

Cool, thank. I'm looking forward to getting the manual version, but have to wait for at least a year (waiting for the price of the 96/97 version to fall into my price range). <p>Are there any/many parts from the 626 or other mazda cars that a suitable for the mx3?
Q187

Post by Q187 »

If anyone wants to do an Auto to 5 speed conversion, I have all the parts that are needed for sale. Email me at quaz187@yahoo.com.
Got MX-3?

Post by Got MX-3? »

how much you want for all the pieces... i wouldnt mind 5 spd :D
Q187

Post by Q187 »

A guy at probetalk did the swap and all the parts costed him $1,200. I'll let them go for $600.
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

USD? or CAN?
With the auto ZE in order to get the best performace you'd probably need to do a mx-6 tranny swap, and probably upgrade the ecu to ZE computer.

Post by Guest »

i was to lazy to read everything but i know tat kevin dude had a auto 2.5, before he smashed it that is.
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pedro:
USD? or CAN?
With the auto ZE in order to get the best performace you'd probably need to do a mx-6 tranny swap, and probably upgrade the ecu to ZE computer.
<hr></blockquote><p>the MX6 tranny has different mounts to the standard MX-3 one.. if you want an MX6 auto tranny, you'll probably need to fabricate mounts.<p>I haven't done this personally, but one of the Aussie MXers has and is going through this exact thing right now..<p>if any one is interested, I'll try to keep this updated, otherwise come on Yahoo Groups, club_eunos_australia<p>@ds
- EUNOS 30X -
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by eunosads:
<p>the MX6 tranny has different mounts to the standard MX-3 one.. if you want an MX6 auto tranny, you'll probably need to fabricate mounts.<p>I haven't done this personally, but one of the Aussie MXers has and is going through this exact thing right now..<p>if any one is interested, I'll try to keep this updated, otherwise come on Yahoo Groups, club_eunos_australia<p>@ds<hr></blockquote><p>I had no trouble with mounts, just the tranny ECU
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
LADDIE

Post by LADDIE »

Shaun, Are you saying that the auto tranny from mx6 has the same mounts as the ATX from mx3?<p>If that is the case it will solve few of my problems.<p>At this stage i have put in the Japanese Ford Probe ATX but the mounts are so far out it ain't funny so i am looking at another ATX.<p>I actually have a guy looking for the MX6 ATX already so i will be able to confirm that soon enough.....<p>Searchingly,<p>LADDIE
Silver 94 boat anchor...... :)

Return to “Transmissions”