Please help: 93 GS Automatic Transmission

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
Strife

Please help: 93 GS Automatic Transmission

Post by Strife »

Hey guys... first off, thanks for looking.

It looks like my AutoX is about to go :(

Last night, I started the car (cold) and put the car into reverse to back out of my driveway. Instead of pulling out right away and switching to drive like I normally do, I put the brake on (while still in reverse - dumb move :( ) and waited for about 5 minutes while I was waiting for my passenger to meet me outside. When I shifted to drive and gave it some gas, it didn't want to go... the rpms just went up. I put the car back into P and then to D again and that seemed to fix the problem (at least for tonight)

I've read some posts in the auto-transmission forum and I think this is a sign that my transmission is going... here are the vitals on my car:

1993 GS Auto
about 181,000 kms

My questions are:

1) Is this a sign that my tranmission is about to go? Or could this be a one-time incident?

2) If I choose to repair my AutoX (i.e. rebuild), how much would that cost in the GTA? What shop (for those that have gone through this headache) do you recommend?

3) If I choose to swap to a Manual transmission (my other cars are manuals so this isn't a problem), would this cost less? Again, what shop do you recommend?

Thanks so much for your help... I really appreciate it. I don't want to sell my car yet because of sentimental value (my first car and I need a good looking, sporty daily driver) and the body and engine are in mint shape :(

-one sad Mx-3 owner

<small>[ November 29, 2004, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Strife ]</small>
Strife

Re: Please help: 93 GS Automatic Transmission

Post by Strife »

bump... please help :(

i don't want my mx3 to rip :(
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: Please help: 93 GS Automatic Transmission

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Might be getting ahead of yourself. Could it be a sign of an impending tranny death rattle...? Sure it could but first check for the correct level and condition/color/odor of your trans fluid.

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”