GUESS WHAT ???????

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Rope04

GUESS WHAT ???????

Post by Rope04 »

OK.....I just finished up grinding the welds on the downpipes and mani's. So I get curious about the power upgrade with just the engine...Hmmmm. Well I finally decided to install the old axles and stock mani's and just clamped them on to hold up for just like 10min or so.(DECIDED to test it out so WOULDN'T end up like GOLDY here on this forum) I crank her up and leave the shop(exhaust is LOUD with the leaks) so I didn't hear anything wrong....YET!!!
I turn on the road and give a LITTLE bit of gas for starts and more and more...It FEELS as if it were running off 3CYLINDERS :) .Well now it starts to jerk a bit as if it were to jump timing( I filled my mounts,I know that's not it)the jerking feels more/less coming from the front valve cover up top, it idles fine minus the hla noise and the jerking...I am JUST so confused right now with everything Since I have been TAKING one EXAM after another, college is not as easy as people put it...it's like this: you have 3 choices to choose from and you can only choose 2
1. study/hmwk
2.sleep/work
3.party or other activities
but anyway I'm tired and have to study some more and get some rest...any help would be great so I can come to a conclusion of returning the motor or just fix, I paid $700+ for it, has 60k on it.
Ferrari Red w/silver Metallic 92' Mx-3 GsR: Blown 5 Built motors from my past project and am going to N/A for a while as I get use to Megasquirt for proper tuning then may boost....TT setups have too much lag and too low of a power output for the rpm range i sought....Single is better and may do that in future...New project is custom Alum Mani/ with 3-4" runners...NO ?'s about my previous setup I don't want anyone to waste as Much $$$$$$ as I did...listen to BabyBlue and the those guys and go with thier F/I setups
Rope04

Re: GUESS WHAT ???????

Post by Rope04 »

Srry i just realized I posted in the wrong forum....Told ya I'm out of it since exams :shrug:
Ferrari Red w/silver Metallic 92' Mx-3 GsR: Blown 5 Built motors from my past project and am going to N/A for a while as I get use to Megasquirt for proper tuning then may boost....TT setups have too much lag and too low of a power output for the rpm range i sought....Single is better and may do that in future...New project is custom Alum Mani/ with 3-4" runners...NO ?'s about my previous setup I don't want anyone to waste as Much $$$$$$ as I did...listen to BabyBlue and the those guys and go with thier F/I setups
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

mmm why are you saying that the hla's are going crazy ? I'll tell you one thing..
I don't know if you follow what happened to my old klze...I felt like the hla were going on my like you did..then I noticed the car felt like it was only running on 3 cylinders..then I found out I dropped a valve ;)

<small>[ December 15, 2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: babyblueMX3 ]</small>
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

thx...I'll do the Compression tommorrow...Ohhh and THOSE PICS WILL be UP AFTER CHRISTMAS!!!! :)
along with some How To's info on it.
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well i sincerly hope that you dont end up like me. if i didnt have bad luck i dont know what i would do. i hope it doesnt rub off on you all. ;)
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

any news on the compression test rope ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

Na...I am ACTUALLY on my way to Ft Walton to go do it, That's where the shop is, but I should be back in about 1 1/2 hrs or so. I HATE driving the Wrangler since it has a lift and 33's on it...GAS REALLY sux. Tell you how it goes...BabyblueMx3 and Goldy1(Yeah I think I'm in the same shoes you are, nothing EVER goes right with me..Ohh and since the car has been jacked up and all the weight on the rear tires BLEW a HOLE in the sidewall...Yes I had the CORRECT PSI in them and they WERE BRAND NEW...gonna have a word with the distributer. Be back in a lil while.
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

Compression Test:

1) 130
2) 170
3) 135
4) 180
5) 120
6) 95

I am NEVER on a good note with LUCK!!!!
Well...I may get this machined if DAMAGE is not TOO great, or I will return and search for a better engine...Just this MOTOR was so CLEAN inside and out...Rope
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

This motor is a KL-ZE?
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

nope...It's a Kl-de...If it were a Ze with those results I would be a lot more angry than I am now since it takes a while to get those...even this motor, it WAS VERY HARD to find one in this condtion, Well I'm bout to go tear it down and see if it would be worth the aggravation.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by Rope:
Compression Test:

1) 130
2) 170
3) 135
4) 180
5) 120
6) 95

I am NEVER on a good note with LUCK!!!!
Well...I may get this machined if DAMAGE is not TOO great, or I will return and search for a better engine...Just this MOTOR was so CLEAN inside and out...Rope
whoa rope..these numbers don't look too good :dunno:
What you think the problem is ? piston rings? vavle seals ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

Did you do a wet compression test to? Cause that will tell you if have bad rings. Just squirt a LITTLE oil in the cylinder and then do a compression test, if the rings are bad, after you put the oil in the PSI numbers should jump up. Of course your car will smoke alot when you start it after doing this.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

I'll do that when I put the Valve cover's back on along with the Intake mani. I just noticed the rear cams are out + - 140 degrees... :eek: . the belt is not as tight as the front or used to be , but not loose. I wonder what condition the tensioner is in? timing was right when it was outta the car a while ago. But I'll get those numbers back to ya in a few days on the wet test.I just think this motor is GONE.
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

Dude, don't give up on the motor. Your compression is just fine. If your rear cams are off +- 140 degrees then that is your problem. Notice, the "rear" bank compression numbers..and notice the front(right) bank compression numbers. The front ones are just fine, with the exception of cylinder number 6. Maybe you were just tired when you reached cylinder 6 and didn't do it right, or the rings on 6 are toasted. The cams weren't timed right when the motor was out, and all of a sudden messed up once you put it in. It may have appeared that they were right, but it's obvious they weren't. Just adjust your timing and use this motor as a test for your tt set up. Assuming number 6 is in fact bad, it will still last you possibly a year. This will be plenty of time to learn how to tune your 2.5. WHen it finally goes, pick up another one. Or better yet, pick up another one now and rebuild it.
T61 powered KLZE
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

I am in the middle of tearing it down now. I think the compression on #6 is indeed good, but I didn't allow it to compress fully. I am going to replace the Friction gear and tensioner sunday after Christmas or no later than Monday. I am coming to the conclusion thats why it ran ruff(timing)(+ -140 Degrees is a LOT!!!!) my retainers and valves are still good and hoping it's not a roding bearing.In that case then it's goin in the shop to get completely overhauled from Top to Bottom!! downfall is that it will be in there a few months and I have no spare engine, except my BLOWN K8. But I was wandering around on the 6 forum and stumbled across this poor fellow that his engine does the same thing...Sounds like a rod bearing or friction gear, once the engine is completely outta the car I will take off the oil pan and check for metal in the pan and if not then I'll put some shims on so It's getting enough oil throughout the motor especially #6. but here's a sound clip for your pleasure on this dudes engine.

http://www.geocities.com/kanjauo/

Merry Christmas to YOU ALL!!!!!!!!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”