timing belt replacement

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Redhouse

timing belt replacement

Post by Redhouse »

so there's a great step-by-step guide to replacing a K-engine timing belt (and water pump, tensioner, bearings etc) on Probetalk.com and i was curious if anyone else needed to replace their timing belt (and related bits) in the near future too. i figured if i could get one or two people of marginal to good mechanical experience to do a group fix of their timing belts (safety in numbers). i can offer up my place (i have a single car garage and a spot just outside my garage; so 2 cars could be done at the same time. if we had 3 or 4 people we could get all of them done in a day (2 at a time) and help each other out AND save a bunch of $$ in labour?

anyone game? i was thinking a weekend in the next month - 2 months..

i would attempt it by myself but i'm not sure i have the confidence to go at it alone so.. i thought i'd try to recruit a few partners in crime..

i'd be open to doing the work elsewhere too.. but i figured i'd offer up my place first if there's nowhere to try and do this..

greg
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
RoundTop

Re: timing belt replacement

Post by RoundTop »

Yeah, I need to do mine, plus install my new clutch disc.

I'm in vancouver. But although I know a lot mechanically, I'm still learning a lot about car mechanics, and don't really have all the right tools (eg: torque wrenches)
Redhouse

Post by Redhouse »

i've got a torque wrench AND i need to put my ACT clutch in too.. lol...

too bad you're in vancouver - but who knows - with the money it would save me in labour i'd be more than willing to come over there and do the work for a weekend as i have lots of friends in van i could stay with if need be...

hell at close to 1200$ in labour - i could stay a lot of places in vancouver :)
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
MX-West Car Club

Post by MX-West Car Club »

Hey Greg,

I talked to Taras a few weeks ago and was maybe planning to head over to the island on the Labor Day long weekend.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Greg,

What happened with the plans to replace with KL-DE? Regardless, I'll help anyway. Not that I have ever replaced my own timing belt or the clutch, but did a few swaps so far, not alone either. Got a manual as well as a few decent tools.

BTW, we are overdue for a Victoria meet. I talked to Chris and he is into it as well as Jay. Any ideas on when would be convenient for you. May be when Kevin decides to visit? Sorry to hi-jack.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Not labour day weekend please.

That is the corksport show 'n shine trip.
Redhouse

Post by Redhouse »

talking with ianL (from the uk who has all the ecu pinouts and such) it sounds like getting an ecu/vaf/klde combo that will work in a 96 is going to be far too complicated so i've decided i'd rather have a well running k8 tham a kinda sorta maybe rewired OBDII de...

the ecu pinouts for the KLC9 (the 96 probe/mx6/626 ecu) and my ecu are all different and not necessarily corresponding.. i don't know if i have the patience to turn my daily driver into a frankenstein auto-electric nightmare :)

a vic meet should happen soon - i agree. i am not sure about labour as i will be camping.. but we'll see what happens.

and would always welcome your help on any project taras!

MX-West Car Club

I'm game for pretty much any weekend after Mazda Madness to the week before TdW-5. Just let me know in advance so I can book a friday off and head over that morning.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Greg, pick a weekend and let us know ahead of time so we can organize. And lets meet dammit....
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Redhouse

Post by Redhouse »

hahahahah agreed... well i plan on doing all the work to my car sometime in early september to october (the valve cover gasket replacement, the timing belt/water pump and clutch replacement)- so anytime in september would be fine and the labour day long weekend is actually not too bad for me and Kevin - I will be in vancouver at the end of september if you would like to meet for coffee and such..

greg

MX-West Car Club

Keep me posted on which weekend you chose and I'll hop on the ferry over. Yeah, meeting up when you're over sounds good. We can talk more about meeting up in late september when I'm over on the island or just give me a jingle, you've got my number.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”