WINDOW tint and TAils regs

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
LoopyMx3

WINDOW tint and TAils regs

Post by LoopyMx3 »

this is what i found on tails.

(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.

4.15 (1) A motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer must be equipped with 2 tail lamps, mounted on the rear of the motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, that are capable of displaying only red light visible from a distance of 150 m to the rear on both sides of the motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer at an angle of 45° from the longitudinal axis of the motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer.

and this is the only thing i could find on tint

Windshield stickers
(2) No person shall drive or operate a vehicle on a highway while his view of the highway or of any intersecting highway is unduly obstructed by any windshield sticker, sign, poster or other thing or material placed over or affixed to the windshield or any window of a vehicle

I called the lanlgey rcmp and talked to the vehicle head and he pointed me to sec 7.05(1)
and told me it states that no vehicle can have tint on the sides or front window. I went online and read up and this is what 7.05(1) says 7.05 (1) No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle the windshield or any window of which is in such condition that the vision of the driver is impaired.

He was claming its illegal becasue at an intersection such as a 4way you are suposed to be able to make eye contact with other dirvers and peds. I asked if i was alowed to drive around with my windows down and he says it dosnt say anthing about moving just that it is not alowed to be placed on the windows at all.

So im confused?. Does anyone have the email or the police officer that came to the meet the other day? thanks
LoopyMx3

Re: WINDOW tint and TAils regs

Post by LoopyMx3 »

(8) No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle which has affixed to or placed on the windshield or a window any material that reduces the light transmitted through the windshield or window unless the material is affixed to or placed on

(a) the windshield but not more than 75 mm below the top of the windshield,

(b) a side window that is behind the driver, or

(c) the rear window if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right side of the motor vehicle.

This states i cant drive with it on so why not driving with the windows down?
Taras

Post by Taras »

Are you going to drive with windows down in the winter and rain as well? Just get some lighter tint and may be they will not bother you again. From what I have seen, your tint is pretty dark and quite noticeable to anyone. I do agree with the eye contact thing though too. Helps a lot especially with pedestrians. C'mon don't you wanna be able to finger some bad drivers and have them see you do it?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
LoopyMx3

Post by LoopyMx3 »

that is true, maybe a lighter tint with a slight mirror would be nice
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

I remember reading an article in Car stereo Review a few years back. the rockford fosgate blazer had electric tint. He could turn his windows from see-through to blackout with the flip of a toggle switch. I'll try to find the mag and get some more info on it.
LoopyMx3

Post by LoopyMx3 »

that would be amazing, i was actually in a bathroom in cali once and the stall doors were clear glass and i was like wtf, then i went in and locked it and when i locked it it whent compleatly white. im guessing it uses the same tech. I wonder how much it costs?
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Hey I went to a perfessional tinting place to get my car tinted. They did my side windows and my front windsheild. There is only a bar on the windsheild. The guy i went to would not give me anything darker then the legal %. He obeyed all laws. And he tinted my side windows and the front with a bar. Check out my Cardomain for pics. It should be ok but then again this is by the US regulations not canadian.
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Yep.. and as the officer who showed up at the meet said at one point "doesn't matter what the regs are where the car is registered, matters what the regs are where you are driving.." (or words to that effect)

So what's legal here in wash may not apply to various places in BC.

The law he quoted seems fairly clear when is says 'reduces the light transmitted..." sounds like ANY sort of shading of the windows to left and right of the driver is verboten there..
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Did you get a ticket???
LoopyMx3

Post by LoopyMx3 »

yeah 250$ for my tails and no turn signle
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

me too for my tails, and red turn. The judge gave me a chance to show him a picture of the fixed ones in a new court date.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by lucky13:
me too for my tails, and red turn....
Hmm, Red Turns should be legal though.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

front turns
Taras

Post by Taras »

Front Red turn signals? I think only orange ones are legal. Or clear with an orange bulb.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Here are a few useful links:

Canadian RCMP tips
http://www.island.net/%7Ecihp/modify.html

Province of British Columbia Motor Vehicle Standards http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/MotorVehicle/26_58/26_58-01.htm

California Highway Patrol Tips and things they watch for
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/equipviolations.html

FMVSS108 site, has a lot of lighting specific info and links to related info
http://fmvss108.tripod.com/

FMVSS 108 Full Text (US Lighting Regulations)
http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm

Transport Canada CMVSS 108 Lighting Regulations (Canadian Ligting Regulations)
http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GENERAL/M/mvsa/regulations/mvsrg/100/mvsr108.html

<small>[ July 31, 2004, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: JDM ]</small>
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”