Illegal to remove the front license plate?

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Shades

Illegal to remove the front license plate?

Post by Shades »

I want to take off the front plate on my bumper? Is it legal or illegal? Anyone know for sure?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
voltaire

Re: Illegal to remove the front license plate?

Post by voltaire »

Well, where I live everyone only has one license plate. But I imagine if where you live they give you two, then it's probably not optional.
MX-West Car Club

Post by MX-West Car Club »

It's illegal to drive around without the front plate. You'll have a 50/50 chance of getting a warning first and asked to put it back on or a ticket, depending how the cop is that day.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

Yup, It's illegal in BC to be without a Front licence plate. The whole time I was visiting from Alberta I was wondering if I was going to get pulled over since we only have them in the rear. You could always move here. Hee Heee.<P>-James
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
Shades

Post by Shades »

Sweet, thanks for all the replies!<P>Hmmm... damnit! Oh well... maybe I'll go find a nice license plate holder or something... just that it loooks so much better without it.<P>I guess style versus paying a ticket... I'm not rich so I guess I'll just live with it on.<P>OR<P>Maybe I'll just move to Calgary... hehe...

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

In Ontario I drove around with no front plate for about a year and a half. For the most part I didn't have any problems with it. I gave the cops lame excuses and the cops always gave me warnings. However eventually they gave me a ticket when they were doing one of those "safety blitzes". Since then I've put my front plate back on. Sure it looks a lot better with out the front plate but it's not really worth the hassle of being bugged by the cops and possibly getting a ticket because of it.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

or u can put it on ur dashboard where its visible to "men of security & honor" aka stupid cops, donut eaters. i think its legal that way if not someone correct me.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

In almost all places its illegal to only have 1, some states you can put it in your dashboard to where its really visible and thats legal( I have it there but I dont think its legal here in oregon ). Make sure to read the driver manual of your area carefully, ours says that you have to have the plate on the furthest point of the vehicle.
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
pizzamr2

Post by pizzamr2 »

In BC, you can't have the plates on the front windshield.
Shades

Post by Shades »

Having it in your windshield is worse than having it on the front bumper... who wants a metal plate on your dash?

mmonid

Post by mmonid »

$90 in Ontario if there is no plate in the front. The cop told me that it must be on the bumper, and nowhere else (mine was in the trunk). Same story as Andrew, I got caught on a speeding blitz in Brampton, so I got hit hard that day - $250 worth of tickets :mad: . Almost as soon as I got home, that plate was on.
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
Thrills

Post by Thrills »

I ended up cutting mine just above and below the numbers. i'm pretty sure this is illegal in some form as well, but at least it gets the important information across. It looks a bit rough at the moment, but i'm too lazy to make a proper frame and mounting bracket for it at the moment. <BR>I think i am going to scan it and have a vinyl decal made of it to stick to the front bumper if i can.

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”