What's up MX-West?

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Shades

What's up MX-West?

Post by Shades »

Just wondering how the Whistler trip went? Sounds like you guys had a blast... without me. Stupid work...<P>Also what do you think about my homemade air intake from Revy using ducting materials... check out the pictures...<P>=====----> <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 3&t=001441" TARGET=_blank>Click Here</A><P>I didn't want to go with the conventional one that went into the bumper...
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
-=MagMan=-

Re: What's up MX-West?

Post by -=MagMan=- »

Well at least I feel better now... I thought I was the only one that used to make those home-made CAI's from Home Depot parts :D
Edison Wrzosek<BR>Webmaster<BR>MX-West Car Club<BR>http://mxwest.tripod.com/
MX-West Car Club

Post by MX-West Car Club »

Everyone had a good time on the Whistler trip. We are working on next year's events schedule, so we'll let everyone know when to plan for time off for the next trip.<P>CIA looks really good. I thought of doing something like that at one time but never got around to it. Did you ever thought of using the plastic vent instead of the metal one.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
Shades

Post by Shades »

plastic cracks... didn't see any plastic vents...

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

pizzamr2

Post by pizzamr2 »

I thought PVC is bad...don't they release some really bad chemical toxin when it's heated?
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pizza:<BR><STRONG>I thought PVC is bad...don't they release some really bad chemical toxin when it's heated?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Chlorine, not that bad, if you're not drinking out of it. It's already in most water systems anyway. But I imagine there *are* some other possibly bad chlorine compounds that are released. Shouldn't make a difference under the hood though.
-=MagMan=-

Post by -=MagMan=- »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by voltaire:<BR><STRONG><P>Chlorine, not that bad, if you're not drinking out of it. It's already in most water systems anyway. But I imagine there *are* some other possibly bad chlorine compounds that are released. Shouldn't make a difference under the hood though.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Since I've had some experience with this type of mod, I can tell you it definately does have negative impacts on the driver, despite the fact it's located in the engine bay. The vapours the PVC tubing releases contains other componds besides chlorine, and they are typically released when PVC is exposed to temps higher than 100 degrees C. Those fumes are then taken into the cabin during driving via the ventilation ducts found right below your wiper assembly.<P>One time the temp in my Civic's engine bay got MUCH higher than 100 degrees, and I could instantly smell the PVC in the cabin when I started to drive.<P>During Fall and Winter months, this was less of a concern because of the ice cold air that was flowing thru the pipe. But in the summer when the air isn't that cold, and the hood is heated by the sun, it becomes a SERIOUS concern.<P>There, that's my 2 cents worth :)<p>[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: -=MagMan=- ]
Edison Wrzosek<BR>Webmaster<BR>MX-West Car Club<BR>http://mxwest.tripod.com/
Shades

Post by Shades »

I also wanted to be original... and not rout it to the bumper. That's why I went with the duct under the car... not that I'm saying I'm the first to do it, cause I know I'm not.<P>No PVC... just galvanized metal, aluminum, and dryer tubing... yay!<P>So far I like my setup. Smoother excelleration, from when I was just sucking in hot engine bay air... also not as loud.<P>I don't know if it's me or what... but my car also heats up faster... about 4-5 minutes or driving and it's already between hot and cold (middle, where it's suppose to be).

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”