MX 3 RS W/80 whp vs RSX & STI

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
rukick

MX 3 RS W/80 whp vs RSX & STI

Post by rukick »

My buddy rented out a track near my house for the day and I got a few 1/4 mile runs in my 92 RS with 80whp. I have few basic mods. I ran next to my brother who has a brand new Acura RSX with 170 whp. Everyone expected me to get chewed up and spit out right off the line. We ran twice and both times we were surprised to see that he could not touch me until he reached the power band in 2nd gear. Then he smoked me bad. But he was pissed that I could beat him off the line with my $2000 ride @ 80whp. Next I ran beside my friends STI ($35,000). It didn't take him as long to pass me but I still beat him off the line too. No one could believe it. We all tried to figure out why my car was able to do this. Here is what we came up with: the mx3 makes the best use of it's low end torque with gear ratios and cam shafts designed for the quickest acceleration, where the other cars I went against (like the v tech) are designed for top end hp. Does this sound right to anyone or was it just that my friends don't know how to drive their new cars? To say the least I earned a little more respect for the mx3.

<small>[ November 04, 2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
OsoSlo z28

Re: MX 3 RS W/80 whp vs RSX & STI

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

don't know about the torqueless wonder rsx, but the sti driver just can't drive. their stongpoint is the hole-shot.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

awd sti would smoke an mx3 the whole way down the track, esspecially off the line.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

yea, the guy in the WRX must've been mentally handicapped and parapliegic. your 1.6L SUCK errmm.. SOHC is slow, period. How did you rent a track for the day? how much did that cost?
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

There is no way that a SOHC MX3 would move off the line before a WRX STI. Not even a DOHC or V6 model. The driver of the WRX must be a learner or something. Have you ever seen a 4wd car launched properly?

<small>[ November 04, 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: mx3dohc16 ]</small>
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
rukick

Post by rukick »

My friend with the WRX STI had only owned it for about two weeks before this. He admitted that he was scared to launch it hard because he had trouble controlling the thing. He had never driven an AWD car before, much less one with 300hp, until the day he bought it. He really has too much money. But my brother with the rsx is a competent driver. He was really frustrated by my MX3. I am no mechanic but my guess was that it had a lot to do with the way the f series tranny is geared. It can't handle much torque but it makes great use of what it can handle.
As for the track, (more like a big parking lot with cones) another friend of mine rented it out on a weekday. He got a bunch of guys to help pay for it and I got 3 runs for $20 bucks.

<small>[ November 04, 2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
rukick

Post by rukick »

bmwm3guy - that comment was not cool. My mom is a mentally handicapped parapliegic.

Just kidding, but my car does not suck.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

The RSX... easy
They have no Torque
They get all there power at high RPMs
Was your brother running stick?
Pretty much it...
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Tell your friend to start launching at 5-6 grand and stop being a little schoolgirl wussy. My buddy had one about 3 months ago we got some good footage of it too . Car was amazing my klde wouldnt touch the thing , Oh yeah tell him to find a nice big abandoned parking lot and drop it while doing a rolling turn in second gear , AWD Donuts RULE . haha well im done ranting . :D
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

an RSX type S will rip you a new one unless you have a ZE, so even an RSX base model would smoke you beyond belief in a SOHC...

and I dont think it would take much of a driver to beat a 100hp car in a 300hp car... plus the STI has AWD. STI's care capable of 1.7 second 60' times. An MX3 SOHC is well over 2 seconds for sure.
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

I know for a fact that the RSX would win hands down right from the start. The guy driving must not have had much experience launching the Acura if you had a jump on him. I own a MX-3 DOHC and an Acura RSX type-S and it is two seperate worlds when driving one then the other. I find the power on the RSX displaced evenly and get great launches with it even when just playing around. I love my MX-3, but after driving the RSX I miss the power when my fiance takes it to work. That is the main reason for the project I have going on with my MX now :freak:
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
rukick

Post by rukick »

All I can tell you is what happened. I know that if the STI guy weren’t babying his new car the result would have been a lot different. But my brother in the RSX wasn't babying. It surprised me too. Unless I jumped the gun on the start (Which I don't think I did) or he was not paying attention, but that's what happened. :shrug:

<small>[ November 05, 2004, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
DJ

Post by DJ »

I would believe you on taking a RSX NON-type s on take off with an RS.
I've been in the car when my friend raced his protege5 against my other friends RSX Type-S and the protege5 had the acura in the first couple gears then the type-S took off after that.
rukick

Post by rukick »

The RSX is a type S. My neighbor is a Mazda mechanic and he says I would have had no chance with my 1.6 if the RSX was launched right. He also says that it does not take much to beat someone off the line no matter what cars you are racing if one guy spins his wheels too long or doesn't give it enough gas. He thinks that in both cases I probubly just launched better. So I guess I'll have to tell my brother that I am just a better driver. That will be fun!
Turbo 94 Protege LX
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I wish there was a BS flag to raise. Not a chance in hell...
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”