very disappointed

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
your2slow

very disappointed

Post by your2slow »

Well I went to sparta yesturday to check the 1/4 mile times with my ZE and here is the results.

Reaction .547
60 ft (blank)
330 ft 6.920
1/8 ET 10.647
1/8 mph 68.29
1/4 16.103
1/4 mph 85.85
I'm very disappointed cause I thought this would be better. I'm still running the stock 1.8 ECU so i'm hoping that is the big reason for the power loss. I was shifting @ 6500 but could not break 16s with my ZE. I've got everything else Stock except using a custom Intake with cone and using 17'' rims (going to change that next time to my winter tires). Does this not seem like really bad times or is it just me?????? I know I should be getting mid to high 14's with the engine. Anyone know if the ECU would cause such a difference like 2 seconds on the 1/4 mile??

<small>[ June 19, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: your2slow ]</small>
KL-ZE, Custom Intake, Apex Lowering Springs, and more to come this year.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
killerpickle

Re: very disappointed

Post by killerpickle »

Whats your setup.

VAF -?
ECU -k8
Stock clutch ?
Stock exhaust (muffler and piping)?
heavy stereo equip?

I've been told that with the ze ecu, and the je50 VAF (stock k8 vaf) it shaves a good half a second off your 1/4 mile time. Also the stock exhaust setup is far too restrictive for the klze. Whats the stock pipe size anyway?

Oh, and one more thing. You should shift much later, expecially the first two gears. Im no expert, but you want to be in the optimum power band when you shift to the next gear, this requires taking the rpms past 7.

<small>[ June 19, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: killerpickle ]</small>
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

if its your first time, don't be impressed, my first time i pulled a 15.9, i finally got down to 15.04 after a about 4 nights of dragging...i let 1sickmx6 (Aaron The Hic's friend) drive it and he pulled a 14.75 first shot, but he know hwo to drag...just to show, its all about the driver
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
your2slow

Post by your2slow »

Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
if its your first time, don't be impressed, my first time i pulled a 15.9, i finally got down to 15.04 after a about 4 nights of dragging...i let 1sickmx6 (Aaron The Hic's friend) drive it and he pulled a 14.75 first shot, but he know hwo to drag...just to show, its all about the driver
Well it wasn't just me driving my car. Had a friend drive for mee too and he got same readings. He has been doing this for years and couldn't get it past 16.1. For my setup I have stock exhust piping with a performance 2.5" muffler. No heavy stero setup (1 10" sub), stock ecu and a stage 3 centerforce dual friction clutch with ligtened flywheel to 13.6 lbs. Hope this is enough info.

<small>[ June 19, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: your2slow ]</small>

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
WTF

Post by WTF »

The guy asked you what is the size in the exhaust piping, not only in the muffler. From the flex pipe all the way back, what is the size?

And, I noticed the 60 feet are very slow for such a big engine thats suppose to have a lot of torque compared to the 1.8 DOHC.

Were you runnin it on 87 octane, 89, 91?

Give it a check to the pistons compression to see if a valve is stickin or one of the piston is not holding the pressure...

But well, take it easy, and like someone posted,

"Sometimes is the part behind the steering wheel that is not makin the car run fast..."

:mad:
How can I remove Mazda Enthusiast?
your2slow

Post by your2slow »

The guy asked you what is the size in the exhaust piping, not only in the muffler. From the flex pipe all the way back, what is the size?
If you read my post i said I have stock piping. And like i said before I was not the only one driving my car. My friend tried and he has been dragging for years and he couldn't break the 16.1 mark. It's not the driver it's the engine. Read the post before your answer :mad:

And once again if you read the post there is no 60 ft times as the lane i was in was not recording it.

And I used 94 oct gas.

<small>[ June 19, 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: your2slow ]</small>

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

1. just cause hes been doing it for years dont mean hes good

2. what intake manifold you using and what throttle body

3. the stock exhaust piping will be a big factor if power loss as will the K8 fuel managment

and to correct your car domain page, the KL-ZE does not make 185-195 torque, try closer to 165 and you need to shift later in the powerband than 6500

<small>[ June 19, 2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
your2slow

Post by your2slow »

and to correct your car domain page, the KL-ZE does not make 185-195 torque, try closer to 165 and you need to shift later in the powerband than 6500 [/QB]
Thanks for the correct info, I was always told 195 torque for the ze. I tried to shift at 7000 and played with it going higher and lower and just couldn't get passed the 16.1/sec. For the rest of your questions, i'll have to find out from Gabi(he did my swap) what intake manifold I'm using and what throttle body. Would this make a big difference in power?

As for my friends driving he isnt the the best out there, but is known for getting some of the best times in cars he has driven. Thanks for the feedback everyone, keep it up. :2thumbsup:

<small>[ June 19, 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: your2slow ]</small>

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

I was told that the IM does make a big difference.
8-10 hp. But, that would not account for 1 second on your 1.4 mile. Traction could, but you dont have a 60 ft reading. Do you have a lot of wheel hop?

Im using the stock k8 IM, though I have not raced mine yet at the track.

note to self : go to cayuga this summer!
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
your2slow

Post by your2slow »

Originally posted by killerpickle:
I was told that the IM does make a big difference.
8-10 hp. But, that would not account for 1 second on your 1.4 mile. Traction could, but you dont have a 60 ft reading. Do you have a lot of wheel hop?

Im using the stock k8 IM, though I have not raced mine yet at the track.

note to self : go to cayuga this summer!
First couple of runs i was getting wheel hop and doing 16.3 to 16.5 was the worst. But once I did a few more runs there was no wheel hop (just cherps at 1st 2nd and 3rd) which is when i got 16.1 as the best time.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

1) why are you racing your car with the wrong ecu?
2) why are you sufficating your klze especially with a stock 1.8 setup?
3) why are you racing wit those heavy *** wheels?

I'd say get a klze ecu,intake-exhaust and drag wit your stock wheels.

That alone will get you in the 14z
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

1) get a KL-36 or KL-31 ECU and a JE50 VAF
2) Get a KL_ZE intake manifold either the long straight neck or the curved neck and the proper ZE throttle body as well.
3) get a cold air intake system
4) get 2.5 inch flex pipe back exhaust system with high flow or no converter.
5) take the car to a dyno and see how much power you are putting to the wheels.
6) take out the sub, spare tire, jack and rear seats.
7) if the car is making 195-210 H.P at the engine and you still run 15.1 its the driver.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
sweetmx3

Post by sweetmx3 »

my brother has a 93 ls mx6 with the kl03 and he has 200000km on the engine he also has HS headers high flow cat no resonator and apexi muffler and CAI and he ran a 15.185 on a really bad clutch and suspension i Know they are different cars but something could wrong with the engine or all your current setup needs to be changed. If u jsut got your try some of the things other people mentioned and see what happens. :2thumbsup:
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

your exhaust setup is soooo restrictive im pretty sure that would cause you all your troubles

and those extra filters that you have built into your exhaust manifolds are restricting even more... id even recomend pick up some other exhaust manifolds from a junk yard just to get that cat **** outta there.

Then get a highflo cat and 2.5 piping all the way through.

i guarantee your car should be around the 14s. then its normally driver skill after that.(no offense)

so you only need a couple things to make it all happen.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

You definitely need to take this thing to a dyno and see if the engine is sick.....

Maybe you got a KLDE instead of a ZE but you still should be in the 15s even with a DE.

Just to put it in perspective: I ran a 16.1 w/ bad wheelhop (2.4 sec 60ft time) in a 2800lb 2001 Sentra SE SR20DE w/ *maybe* 130Whp so something is definitely wrong. And I am not much of a drag racer, and that was on bald street tires....
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”