Online Shop Manual...lets get it back online

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Gro Harlem

Online Shop Manual...lets get it back online

Post by Gro Harlem »

Yeah, this is only the 100th topic about this, but I talked to a buddy of mine, Edwin Man (he wrote the now-famous Protege FAQ) who is in contact with more than one inside mazda contact and he needed to find out something about the rear tie-rod on the GS models. He was pissed when he found the Shop Manual had been taken down and asked me where it went. I told him "it went down b/c of copyright reasons".

Turns out..he's been in touch on numerous occasions with Mazda about copying the 2nd Gen Protege shop manual & the 3rd gen Protege manuals (years 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003), and they DID NOT CARE if he hosted them on [url=http://clubprotege.com,]http://clubprotege.com,[/url] http://msprotege.com and http://protegeclub.com.

Whats funnier is some tardnut (i'm sure the same a-hole who contacted jeff) contacted those forums about their "copyright infringement" they ignored him and nothing has happened.

Same goes for the GTX board with the JDM familia and 323 GTX/GTR manuals ([url[http://323gtx.co.uk[/url]). AND This site: http://www.iluvmyrx7.com/ Someone even emailed this site (http://protege5.ugly.net) about a Protege5 manual they downloaded off of Mazda Motorsports and uploaded to their site for ppl to download. It still exists and I remember that contreversy was 2 years ago on ProtegeClub.

Notice how that RX7 site has every brochure & manual on it...no legal action was taken against them.

After learning that our manual was taken offline thanks to this a$$hole, Edwin swore to me that he is going to burn this guy for selling the CD-ROM's of the shop manuals for a profit. He basically told me there is no way in hell Mazda would allow someone to do such a thing and having bought one myself, I must agree, it is shoddy crappy scans and doesn't look like anything mazda would allow someone to do.

So Jeff...when's it go back online? Perhaps a rash of generous donations from members who want it back would convince you???

<small>[ September 18, 2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Gro Harlem ]</small>
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
JWMX3

Re: Online Shop Manual...lets get it back online

Post by JWMX3 »

Yeah, it'd be really nice to get the shop manual back.... i miss it :crying:

<small>[ September 18, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: JWMX3 ]</small>
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Here is the link to the discussion about this guy on the GTX board, this was back in May of 2004:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/323gtr/message/8346

BTW: please don't reply to the yahoo group topic....the topic is over 4 months old at this point on their forum.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

here here, !!! I don't think that they care about a car that is at least 11 years old. (US)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

I agree - I would love a proper shop manual and would gladly pay for one if it was easy to get hold of in the UK. Maybee an option would be to get it out on BitTorrent?

Paul
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

i bought a CD on Ebay, ie mitchell on demand. i am sure its a copy. am sure its not the mazda shop manual.
what or how can we do the bittorrent thing?
i have azureus running most of the time.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I understand admins point of view perfectly. The copyright owners made a valid request without taking any action (which they could have) so it would be irresponsible to make it available again on this site.

If everyones so keen to break the law, why doesn't everyone pitch in, buy one and make it available on another site? I'm sure someones got server space to host it.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

Grant, do u not know how to read and understand English?
donot get defensive man, Read what Gro posted. its the first post if u do not know which one.

Note what he says about Mazda/copyright holders.
Re Read it a few times then post to that post
ok?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Myardor, I guess what your saying is that because its written in this forum it must be true? I see no compelling evidence at all just references to some "inside contacts" (no name supplied) has supposedly said Madza do not care. It doesn't appear anyone even knows the name of the "tardnut a-hole" who contacted Jeff. Hardly convincing reasoning to just throw the manual back on line.

If anything it is contradictry that it states that Mazda don't care if manuals are hosted on a site but there was no way in hell Mazda would allow distribution of CDs. Seems pretty good for us though eh?

Look, I wouldn't even know who owns the Copyright Rights to the manuals - Mazda or are they farmed out under a licensing agreement? If its Mazda why not get written permission to use it on the site? That will test whether the inside contacts are for real or just talking out their arse.

This site is non-profit. I'm sure the last thing admin want is a ****fight over copyright. Hey, I'd love to see the manual on line too, just do it properly. Or why not someone else host it? Has anyone got a soft copy we can use?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com

call them, they'll tell you "we don't care as long as it doesn't look like an offical mazda publication".

Thats the answer I got.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I don't doubt thats what they said but are they legally authorised to say that? Are they the ones ultimately responsible for the copyright? How do we know? If they are, there should be no problem getting that in writing to cover our arses. My guess is they won't though as they won't be willing to sign off on it. I reckon their attitude is everybody else does it so go for it - nobody cares!

My initial response in this thread was responding to a post saying this thread was going to be deleted as admin would not tolerate discussion about reposting the manual. I can't remember who posted it but its since been deleted (that might be why my initial post seems out of context).

If that really is admins decision and they aren't comfortable having the manual on line, we need to respect that and should look at hosting it elsewhere. Maybe admin would allow a link from this site? Obviously what we need first though is a soft copy - finding the web space wouldn't be hard.
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

Changing the topic, my friend, the mechanic is willing to give me his CDs, and DVDs
all of them,in CDs there are a bunch , all cars, models
its from AllData.
All Data has changed from CDs to DVDs and it is still a bunch of DVDs. They send new ones every quarter so i will be getting the old quarter each quarter.
i do their computer repair and they do my car repair.
but AllData changes the keys every month and the computer has a Dongle. wonder if i can access the DVDs but i will try later.

BACK to topic
well who has the soft copy? The one that was used to post the online manual? mod/sysop\jeff?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Maybe its still sitting on the server and only the link was removed???
Ehpl

Post by Ehpl »

I would just be happy if someone would put it up on e-mule so I could download a copy for myself.

Eugene L
N.S.canada
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

Well the 1995 Mazda MX-3 Workshop Manual says....

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or used in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical - including photocopying and recording and the use of any kind of information storage and retrieval system- WITHOUT PERMISSION IN WRITING.

--------------
SO I ask>>> can we get permission in writing to post it online? Who in Mazda Motor Corporation can do that for us? Japan or USA? Anyone have any ideas?

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”