How not to shot peen internals...

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
David Coleman

How not to shot peen internals...

Post by David Coleman »

<A HREF="http://www.miata.net/apple/0111.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.miata.net/apple/0111.html</A> <P>"I think I may have KILLED my Miata (poisoning)"<P>RA: When this topic came up on the Miata Forum a couple of months back, a number of Forum Members read it and some were skeptical that anything like this could really happen. Some demanded pictures but once posted, still did not feel this could happen without the aid of a ball-peen hammer -- it had to be a hoax! But as the reader count went up and more information became available, it soon became a hands down Rotten Apple candidate. At one point, after it was cross-linked to several other internet sites, the Miata Forum was almost brought to a standstill from all the hits it received. So here, once again is what may be the Rotten Apple of the Year ... Wes Tewksbury's "I think I may have KILLED my Miata (poisoning)."<P><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>RA: So Wes, let's start at the b-b-ginning. (smile)<P>Wes: It seems I fed it BB's, you know like the ones you shoot from a bb gun.<P>RA: You mean like the Red Ryder model my "older brother" had as a kid...a real BB gun like by Daisy or someone?<P>Wes: That would be the one, I actually have a few, but it’s my bb pistol that’s really responsible. I just did a very thorough and careful (1990 model) timing belt 60K service (has 181K on it). I carefully laid each engine part on my workbench as I took it off. Some how a rubber bb loader full of BB's fell into the intake hoses and hid there.<P>RA: This is where most of us just shook our heads in disbelief, Wes. You didn't see that the hose had something in it on reassembly?<P>Wes: No, and I really thought I checked carefully, too! I even shook the hoses to be sure. I reassembled everything and drove for four uneventful days. Then it happened, the throttle got stuck on. RPM's went up close to 8000 when I turned off the key. As I coasted to a stop I heard thuds from the engine, and after I stopped, the engine would no longer turn over.<P>RA: You were probably wondering about that timing belt job about then -- wondering about that "non-interference" motor everyone always talks about. The one that won't turn over and whose last utterance was, "thud?"<P>Wes: Yes but I'm a pretty good mechanic and I knew I'd done a good job. Once home, after a tow, I removed the intake hoses and found the bb loader stuck on the throttle plate and about 60 bb's missing as well as the rubber end cap.<P>RA: (Note to self How many total BB's are in a BB loader?)<P>Wes: I don't remember crying out at that point but I may have. I went right into the disassembly stage and found one spark plug broken and all four with small dents in them. Once the head was off I could see the pistons were heavily impaled with BB's and so was the head. Many were pressed into the pistons and the head as well. The only good news is the block looked ok, but with 183K, I didn’t think it was worth repairing.<P> Image <BR> Image <BR> Image <BR> Image
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
boostedmx

Re: How not to shot peen internals...

Post by boostedmx »

that is sickening :(
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Moved to Off-Topic Forum. ;)
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

OMG, that is sad but yet amazingly hilarious!<P>At first, I was thinking the guy "fed it BB's" on purpose or something. That's a big DOH!!! :eek:
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

so david whats that argument on the forums about? that the guy is trying to get someone else blamed for what he did?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
polak_gino

Post by polak_gino »

thats crazy :(
> Toronto MX-3 Club
> My Car Audio Install
> ProMazda.com

Metalic Green '92 GS 5-Speed
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>so david whats that argument on the forums about? that the guy is trying to get someone else blamed for what he did?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think it was that at first, the guy didn't post the pictures and nobody believed him.
Rayman

Post by Rayman »

u dont shotpeen things with BBs do u?
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I'm having that guy shot peen my DOHC next week. It adds like 100hp and he's only charging me $2500 plus the cost of the BBs, oh yeah and he's throwing in a free Tornado! :D
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rayman:<BR><STRONG>u dont shotpeen things with BBs do u?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, he used the really course type. If you get like 500 grit...should work beautifullly. ;)
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

what the heck is shot peen?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mx3man83:<BR><STRONG>what the heck is shot peen?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.google.com" TARGET=_blank>www.google.com</A> to the rescue again!!!<BR> <A HREF="http://www.shotpeening.com/theory.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.shotpeening.com/theory.html</A>
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Thats the funniest car related thing I've ever read

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”