mx3 v6 does not start - please help!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
jaodesign

mx3 v6 does not start - please help!

Post by jaodesign »

hello all,
i am working on my friends' 1993 mx3 with a v6. the damn thing will not start on it's own. if i spray some starting fluid in there it starts right up and stays running. if the car is push started it starts also.

replaced:
fuel pump
fuel filter & sock
dizzy
cap / rotor / wires / plugs
starter
crank position sensor

checked:
good spark
battery
fuel pump runs when the engine is bumped with the key
turns over well

right now the test point next to the brake booster for the ground -> fuel pump is jumped and the car starts and runs everytime...

any ideas on why it will not start with out the 'bandaids'?

the even funnier thing is that she has a mx-6 turbo that has the same problem!
-jesse
lakersfan1

Re: mx3 v6 does not start - please help!

Post by lakersfan1 »

It turns over, but won't run unless you push start it? WTF?
jaodesign

Post by jaodesign »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
It turns over, but won't run unless you push start it? WTF?
yes. if you turn the key the engine turns over quickly but does not start - doesn't even try.

like i said in these three cases it will stay running:
push start
jump fuel pump relay
starting fluid
-jesse
Jteezy

Post by Jteezy »

yea thats a ***** man i had to deal with it. My problem was a clogged fuel rail which wouldnt let enough pressure to the injectors,etc. And i did that while my fuel pump was boosted so you should definitely check that out. Take off your fuel pressure regulator and boost your fuel pump and fuel should gush out from where the regulator should be. Check your MAF, check your timing, and check your rotor to make sure its on plug wire 1 when the motor is at top dead center. Try it out and let me know, the important thing is your close. Keep trying, you'll get it. Peace
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

"right now the test point next to the brake booster for the ground -> fuel pump is jumped and the car starts and runs everytime..."

Can you elaborate on what you mean "is jumped"? If I know what you mean I might be able to throw my 2 cents worth in.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
jaodesign

Post by jaodesign »

there is a box in the engine compartment that has various test points in it. it is located near corner of the firewall and fender on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

in the haynes manual there was a procedure for testing the fuel pressure of the car, part of which was to use a jumper wire between the Ground and Fuel pump points in this box. with a jumper in place the fuel pump will run as long as the key is in the RUN position.

i _think_ that this is to simulate the grounding of the fuel pump relay by the computer.

with out the jumper wire, if you tap the key into the start postion: the fuel pump will run for a few seconds and switch off [ECU controlling it] - but will just turn over & no start.

with the jumper there, the fuel pumps runs as soon as you get the key to the run postion and will start right up.

maybe it is the fuel pressure regulator is stuck full open and there is not enough fuel pressure when the fuel pump is just starting to run?
-jesse
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Check your fuel pump relay, see if its clicking at all. Its located by your ECU under the center part of the dash, on the floor, next top the firewall.

Also pull out your lower part of your back seat, see if your fuel pump kicks on. It could be your fuel pump. Or it could be as simple as that relay. I had the same problem.
jaodesign

Post by jaodesign »

relay works...
-jesse
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Originally posted by jesseobuzz:
relay works...
you check the fuel pump?
use a test light.
It should have 2 hot wires, one for the pump, other for the float.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Have you checked ecu codes?? Maybe its your starter..or have you checked alternator?? i think its has something to do with the alternator not probiding enough energy at start up..altough u say that when you spray some fuek or whatever it is,..it does work..hmmm
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
shuan24

Post by shuan24 »

Yeah, I've had a similar problem recently. Be sure to check your alternator, that was the source of my problems.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”