Clunking sound with GC coilovers

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
2.5mx3

Clunking sound with GC coilovers

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Okay guys, I've got a problem with my coilovers that's driving me a little crazy. For the most part, my front left coilover is fine. But with the front right, everytime I make a left turn or even if the right tire hits some bumpy ground, the coilover/strut assembly just clunks around inside the wheel well.

I'm not sure exactly what's causing it, and why the left side seems to be fine. I've got them at the lowest setting that is allowed with the spring perch. Keep in mind the tires aren't necessarily rubbing under the wells - it's just that the coilovers just seem to be making a lot of noise down there. Any suggestions?

On a slightly different note, I'm feeling a lot of vibration all of a sudden just when accelerating. Most of the vibration is felt throught the pedals and shifter, and not so much through the steering wheel. Any help on either of these problems would be greatly appreciated!
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Gro Harlem

Re: Clunking sound with GC coilovers

Post by Gro Harlem »

Sup Hank. Your ground controls did this when I went for a ride with you, is it getting worse or something? I know that it is normal for cars with sleeve-style coilovers to have clunking sounds, since the coilovers are smaller in diameter than the spring perch and shift around when steering. I wouldn't worry if this is what is happening.

My GC's don't do this at all, the sleeves were attached to the strut body so they don't shift around.

As for your strange vibration problem, I am almost certain it is your axle. Every time I see someone post this question, people always reply "its your balljoint" "your wheel isn't balanced" and crap like that...but I know from experience that it is likely your axle. Seeing how slammed your car was, the axles will wear out quicker internally. I Had this problem on my Protege, and I replaced the passenger axle and the problem went away completely.

Although, it is possible that it could be a unbalanced wheel but you said that you don't feel it from the steering wheel which is why I believe its your axle.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Hey Wil! Thanks for the response...

I've got rubber O-rings keeping the sleeve in place (which I hope are still there - I need to check), so is the coil itself shifting around under there? And I wonder why the left side does not make any noise? I'm not sure if it's getting worse, or not... I just notice it a lot more now for some reason. Ever heard of a way to keep the coil from shifting?

As for the vibration, it could very well be my right axle. I seem to go through them like mad. I just recently had to replace both outer CV boots, but I'm thinking that too much dirt got into the joint(s) before I put the new ones on. I also desperately need new tires and alignment. I should be getting all that within the next couple weeks. We'll see what happens!

Again, thanks.
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Well my GC's are very snugly in place. I have the ZX2 struts and in order for the sleeves to fit over the strut shaft body you have to cut off the metal cap. After I did this, the sleeve had to be gently whacked downward against the perch.

Since your using the MS struts, the strut body is probably an inch or two thinner in diameter than the GC sleeve. if the sleeve shifts around on the bottom, the spring will move, and when the spring "snaps" back into the sleeve like it should, it'll make a clunk sound.

My guess is one of your o-rings came out or isn't working like it should. Perhaps there is another way you can keep the sleeve centered around the shaft body?

As for your axles...i'd also check the alignment. Get that done as well. Replacing the CV boot IMO is pointless. It is only useful for passing inspection, and doesn't "fix" the axle. Chances are, if the CV boot is torn, the axle is worn internallly enough for it to be replaced. And buying lifetime warranty axles isn't too expensive anyways. I paid like $170ish for both sides and if one ever f*cks up I can get another free. So far, my axles seem ok, but I've only put like 2000 miles on my car since I have began driving it.

Good luck!
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Yeah, I'm just gonna have to get down there and see if the sleeve is moving around. It was tough to get the sleeve over the strut shaft and O-ring, so I only have one on there. But it was very snug when I put in on the car.

As for my axles, I knew I should have just bought new ones instead of replacing the boot. I keep neglecting to fill out the warranty info when I get my axles, and of course that's just stupid.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips!
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

JdawgMx3er

Post by JdawgMx3er »

Read this in Jan issue of Turbo Magazine,(coilover kit installation for a WRX):
The biggest problem with a slip-on coilover kit is that the WRX uses A MacPherson-type suspension,(as do our MX-3's),so slipping on a coiled sleeve requires either a larger threaded sleeve to go over the cartridge cap, or a two piece deal. If the sleeve is larger,this will cause too much play between the shock's body and the sleeve.this installation is for a two piece sleeve designed for the WRX but they did show some installion tips that might help:
(A) They wrapped duct tape around the body of the strut for less metal to metal vibration,S%#@
ya duct tape
(B)Applyed thin coat of silicon before (sliding)
on collar
(C)Applyed hose clamp at the base of the collar sleeves,down close to the strut boot I believe, (again these were two piece sleeves, so a don't think this would really help w/ grround control coilovers, they slip on over the strut right?)
JdawgMx3er

Post by JdawgMx3er »

As for Ground Controls I haven't got mine yet, hope to have the cash in a few months,wanna throw em in w/Tokico Premiums, hope install isn't too much of a *****.....
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Hey, thanks a lot for the info there. Unless the O-rings I put in have broken, there must be something else going on besides the sleeve shifting around.

I've got some pictures of my coilover installation (although it's not a detailed step-by-step guide), and if you'd like to see them, just send me a quick email to olorin2@comcast.net .

Thanks!
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Hey this is pretty ironic. I had to raise my car to fit it on a tow-dolly (if you didn't know, my car broke down a couple weeks ago), so I raised the coilovers almost all the way in the front and all the way in the rear.

I just fixed the car yesterday, and now the stupid rear clunks. I'm guessing its raised too high or something, and it only occurs on low-speed bumps. My rear sleeves, i know for a fact, don't fit snugly over the strut housing, so I will probably try to inject some silicone between them sometime when I have time to remove the entire strut/coilover, probbaly this winter break.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
lstpier
Supporting Member

Post by lstpier »

See http://www.mx3gsr.freeservers.com/gc.htm. Thing has provided 2 years of clunk-free spirited driving and racing action.

If there is sufficient interest, a group buy through SRD is possible for the steel rings and nycast washers.
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Luc my man.... you're always thinking. :)

Hey, in case they don't go into production, where can I get a set of those Nylatron shims? I really think some kind of cushioning between the coil and perch would solve some of my problems.

Thanks!
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

JJ

Post by JJ »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
[QB]Well my GC's are very snugly in place. I have the ZX2 struts and in order for the sleeves to fit over the strut shaft body you have to cut off the metal cap. After I did this, the sleeve had to be gently whacked downward against the perch.
QB]
Hey i have the same combination. Cut of what metal cap??? I want to get this done soo i dont get that "clunking" noise as well.

And are there any stronger axles out there than can handle a drop...cuz i dont think stock mx3 ones will last very long with a drop.
<my 2 cents>

thanx in advance
JJ

Post by JJ »

I wanna be "Clunk-Free"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:froggie_red:
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

I have'nt noticed any clunking with mine. Even with the Mazdaspeed struts, you'll have to cut some of the metal cap to make them fit.

QB][/QUOTE]Hey i have the same combination. Cut of what metal cap??? I want to get this done soo i dont get that "clunking" noise as well.

And are there any stronger axles out there than can handle a drop...cuz i dont think stock mx3 ones will last very long with a drop.
<my 2 cents>

thanx in advance[/QB][/QUOTE]

There is a cap on the base of the strut with the rod protruding through. This has to be trimmed down to allow the sleeve of the coilover to sit on the perch. Some cutting with a dremel did it for me.

The axles are fine unless your making some ungodly amount of torque.
illapino

Post by illapino »

so if you got a motorsports shop to install your ground control coilovers onto your tokico HP struts, and you hear clunking, are they liable to redo the installation, or are they not at fault at all?

they just did mine and the rear clunks now, not the front struts, which were the only struts to have their caps removed: the rear struts let the coilovers' collars slide right on .....

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”