Drove an Rx-8 last night.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
seneca

Drove an Rx-8 last night.

Post by seneca »

*Drools*
Where do I start...First off, I didn't think this car could compare to my experience in a 350Z, and was I wrong! I've been wanting to stay true to my MAzda roots by giving the RX-8 a proper chance. So when I found out that a good friend of mine had purchased one a couple of days ago, I knew I needed a test drive! Luckily for me my first ride in one was as the driver, my buddy got a little too intoxicated to drive last night (or so I told him) :D Comfort, and power! I <3 that car...MAzda has truely done it again! My next plan has to be the sweet little mazdaspeed Miata!!!! zoom zoom ;)
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
RaverChankoMX3

Re: Drove an Rx-8 last night.

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Comfort & power...that's all you're going to tell us about the 350z v. RX-8 test drive?

Gee.. :dunno:
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

I would have to guess that the 350z and rx8 are neck and neck in performance. I kinda like the z more, but I think the renesis engine wins over the 3.5
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
seneca

Post by seneca »

Hahaha...ok then.

How can I put this: Driving the rx8 was like a nice cold corona. Definantly differnet from the rest! She was quick ohh was she quick I mean, 238 hp...needless to say it'll get you where you wanna go. 1st and 2nd are a dream! lol They'll throw you back and make you hold on for the ride, overall it's a great car! And the ladies like it too! I mean rolling out of the bar in this machine (with a couple tighties in the back) really get you some attention!

But my true love... :)
Driving the Z was like a shot of Jack Daniels. I mean don't get me wrong i've been in faster (Various turbo rides and my all timer the Viper!, mind you I didn't get to drive any of these!) But there' something about this car. I really can't explain it. Once you switch traction control off the road is yours! I mean, you can feel the cars power! Similar to the Viper the car tends to rumble and the sound of the engine... ;) ) Jump on the oppertunity!

Tyson
My Car Domain Page:

seneca

Post by seneca »

And if there's any doubt in your minds...lol (as there can be on the UBB) :p I'll try to get a pic of me w/ my MX and the two beasts. :pimp:
My Car Domain Page:

Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Originally posted by killerpickle:
I would have to guess that the 350z and rx8 are neck and neck in performance. I kinda like the z more, but I think the renesis engine wins over the 3.5
The Nissan VQ 3.5 is the best engine on the market today. It has the PERFECT combination of calmness for everyday driving and bruteness for performance driving. The engine has been in top 10 categories for well over 10 years.

As for the difference between the two cars, the nissan is faster by about .7-.8 seconds in the quarter. Like seneca describes, you turn off traction and you can hit blur-speed pretty damn quickly. Torque is available essentially anytime and in all gears.The 350Z is a true thoroughbred sportscar.
The RX-8 is alot more suttle performance wise but handles as well as anything out there. Like most mazda engines it requires you to stay high in the power band in order to drive fast. The fit and finish is superior in the 8.

Despite the 50 hp 100lbs difference between the two, i'd pick the 8 personally only because i prefer having an all out performer rather than a 04 version of a muscle car.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
seneca

Post by seneca »

Vey well put. But in a completely friendly way I must say...

You have to drive one my friend! lol :)

Regardsless, both are completely amazing cars. I would be proud to own either one.
My Car Domain Page:

killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Dont get me wrong I absolutely love the 3.5, but I believe that the renesis has more potential, think of what they did to the rx-7's rotary, now take a greatly improved rotary engine and well just wait and see...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Originally posted by seneca:
(with a couple tighties in the back)
HAH!!!!
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Originally posted by killerpickle:
Dont get me wrong I absolutely love the 3.5, but I believe that the renesis has more potential, think of what they did to the rx-7's rotary, now take a greatly improved rotary engine and well just wait and see...
Check maximas.org. There are max's (3700lb car) in 12s with bolts on and 150 shots on stock blocks. :)
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”