tire size change

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
back alley

tire size change

Post by back alley »

anyone using 205/50/15's on your car?
according to some tire calculators (on tire sites) this size is over a 3% change and therefore might affect braking.
the tires i want don't come in a 55 so i'm looking for some real world info.<p>thanks
TsiMiata

Re: tire size change

Post by TsiMiata »

effect braking? Hows that? The only thing that is going to change using that tire is your overall gearing. Since the tire is smaller it will be like having a lower final drive gear- by 7%. Not sure how you came up with 3% but that tires 7% smaller. A 225/50/15 is a good replacement- same diameter, but wider.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
back alley

Post by back alley »

http://www.1010tires.com/<p>i used the tire size calculator here, they said 3% difference.<p>your recommended size does work better, again, according to 1010 tire.<p>thanks.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

My bad on the percentages- I was thinking a 205/60 was stock, not a 205/55<p>Well if the tire you wnt comes in a 225/50 I think that would be the way to go.<p>BTW- that tire calculator is sweet, especially like the overhead view!<p>[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</p>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
back alley

Post by back alley »

glad you like it.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

first number = section width
second number = aspect ratio (sidewall = "X" percent of section width)
third number = diameter, match to wheels you want.<p>example: 205/50//15<p>205mm wide, 50% of 205mm per sidewall, and will fit on 15" wheels.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
maniac

Post by maniac »

changing your tire size larger than stock will affect braking, not smaller than stock. it becomes a problem on lifted trucks when they slap on some large offroad tires, then they usually gotta upgrade the brakes to compensate for em. Probably isn;t even applicable to cars really.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”