best rim/tire size for Autocross?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Sean Mandell

best rim/tire size for Autocross?

Post by Sean Mandell »

my mx is lowerd about 1.5" in front and 1.75" in the rear. I wanted to start racing my car but was debating to get either 16x7,16x7.5 or 17x7,17x7.5. Also what size tires should i use?<p>protegests: I figure you might have some input on this!<p>thanx in advanced
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Krist B.

Re: best rim/tire size for Autocross?

Post by Krist B. »

try light weight 15" wheels with Falken Azenis 205/50/R15. :)
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Since you're lowered, you'll be in STS. If you were stock you could run in the stock class, but even something as simple as a short shifter knocks you out of that. <p>In stock, you would want wheels that are same diameter, width and offset as stock. Lightweight Miata wheels (the seven spoke open back ones) are a good choice and reasonably plentiful/affaordable.<p>In STS, the only rule for wheels is they can be no wider than 7.5 inches and fit over stock brakes and under stock bodywork (no cutting fenders, but the inside lips can be rolled.)<p>You probably want some lightweight wheels in 17x7 or 17x7.5 (if they fit.) 16s or 15s are also a possibility, and they have the advantage of being lighter and cheaper. You have a ton of choices, it just depends how much you want to spend. For tires, you probably want Falken Azenis.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

15 x 7 Kosei K1s with 205/50 Falken Azenis Sports are an easy, and fairly cheap setup.<p>Don't go bigger, no reason to.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i'd say nothing bigger than a 16, there's so much extra weight with huge rims
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

theres no advantage tire wise to going with a 16.... 15s if youre serious, 16s if you must have some bling.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

I am a little worried about my brakes as well and I think I might consider getting some beefier calipers and rotors. I have heard mixed emotions on bigger brake kits but if the money was there what would be the best brake setup for autocross purposes? right now the offset is 42mm correct? If i do get upgraded brakes would that change the offset? <p>I have decided to go with either 15x7 volk te37 or gram lights and depending on brakes I might go with a 16x7. As for tires the falkens are by far the best bang for the buck.
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

there is ZERO reason to get bigger brakes.<p>hell, if you wanted to build a purpose built autocross MX-3 that wasn't street driven, i'd tell ya to reduce the size of the brakes...<p>pads, fluid, and new blank rotors are plenty to stop the car from any sane speed.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

what about ss brake lines?
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nvrsrndr:
what about ss brake lines?<hr></blockquote><p>Sure, if you want to...
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

both
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:
theres no advantage tire wise to going with a 16.... 15s if youre serious, 16s if you must have some bling.<hr></blockquote><p>Is there any disadvantage doing with 16's?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
<p>Is there any disadvantage doing with 16's?<hr></blockquote><p>
All the diffrent rim sizes will have pros and cons.. 15's are imo the best comprimise But really for harsh handling you need x amount of sidewall... in our cars going over 15 tends to take away from that crucially needed flex.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

16 weigh more than 15.<p>flush your brake fluid out and use dot 4 fluid insted of dot 3. dot 4 wont boil as easily and it wont absorb as much moisture.<p>since you are gonna stick with 15 inch rims than a big brake kit is out. because they usually need 17-18 inch rim to clear the caliper.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”