Chilton Manual

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
RoundTop

Chilton Manual

Post by RoundTop »

Well..I was walking through Wal-mart of all places and found a clearance rack of chilton manuals..and found the MX3 chilton manual for $20CDN (after taxes).

I had a look through and if you have an idea about how to read an assembly diagram, wiring diagram, and general mechanics and terms like "lug", "nut" etc... this guide is pretty good.

Not a lot on diagnosing problems, but if you want to replace the brakes it tells you the proceedure with cautions. Also covers things like replacing the timing belt (if you have the equipment to remove the engine).

Anyways, just thought I'd mention this.
psneddon

Re: Chilton Manual

Post by psneddon »

I find the print quality of these manuals to be awful, the pictures as useless. Also they don't cover uk models which is a pain :(

Paul
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

If you think the pages and pictures are aweful, you should try readin a hardware diagram for a motherboard. Those get funky.

Yeah the pages are thin, but it sits open flat.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

That book is crap, its so general cuz it has to cover so many cars. Waste of money!
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by RoundTop:
Well..I was walking through Wal-mart of all places and found a clearance rack of chilton manuals..and found the MX3 chilton manual for $20CDN (after taxes).

I had a look through and if you have an idea about how to read an assembly diagram, wiring diagram, and general mechanics and terms like "lug", "nut" etc... this guide is pretty good. Not a lot on diagnosing problems, but if you want to replace the brakes it tells you the proceedure with cautions. Also covers things like replacing the timing belt (if you have the equipment to remove the engine). Anyways, just thought I'd mention this.
I agree, as a guide it is pretty good and for the price, you get enough usable info that it will pay for itself many times over (with just one brake job or t-belt replacement!) In other respects, the Chilton's and Hayne's manuals are too general to be considered shop quality manuals. However, they don't pretend to be that in-depth to take the place of a factory shop manual either... my .02 :shrug:
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

does the chiltons manuals go in depth of the vacuum diagrams, coolant diagrams and oil diagrams?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
ninjasteve

Post by ninjasteve »

the vacuum diagrams arent too bad i dont think aside from the K8, its terrible. its got the most complicated vacuum system and the smallest picture. In general the chilton manual isnt great, but its still better than nothing if its the only thing you can get

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”