mx3 safe for trips? cross country?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
hgallegos915

mx3 safe for trips? cross country?

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok, I got a 92 mx3 manual and the engine was just rebuilt about 20k miles ago (not the heads) The car runs perfect..no problems, tune ups in the right time. Do you guys think this car would be a good reliable car to drive for lets say a good 6 -8 hrs? Me and my future wife are planning on moving to Dallas Tx, I live in el paso Tx (tip of texas bordering new mexico and mexico). I plan on doing a few trips every year back to el paso..are these cars reliable on long trips? I really dont like the short 5th gear but if it makes it well :D I dont want to end up stranded on the middle of the road o.0 Do the trannies and engines hold up? its a k8 engine.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MX3-Freak

Re: mx3 safe for trips? cross country?

Post by MX3-Freak »

Im going to go out on a limb here - sorta. While I would drvie either model from coast to coast and back again with over 150k on it (assuming proper mateniance), I would trust the 4 cyl more. I've only owned the RS, so I can't give personal experience with the K8, I can compare how many problems the forums get every day. My engine is absolutely bullet proof (so is the tranny); not a drop of oil burned. While on the other hand, I have read quite a few "oil drinker" and "ticking" stories in the 6cyl forums.

Either way, both egines and the MT (the AT is fine to as long as you don't burn rubber at every stop light)seem very well built and you should have no problems doing long trips.

Maybe the 4 cyl is better because it is totally mazda, whle the v-6 had porsche egineering involved? lol, had to say that.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Be sure to say which V6 you are talking about.

Most of the v6 forums are KLZE conversions.

I have a GS (K8) and drive routinely to seattle from vancouver and back (2-3h each way). I would happily drive from one side of the country to the other and back again without worrying. especially if you are running a stock engine and being nice when shifting etc.

when all else fails, remember the theory "an object in motion tends to stay in motion". In other words a breakdown is likely to occur at startup, when pushing hard accel, or hard breaking.

Regardless... rock solid car.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

ive taken mine for 8hr trip k8 with leaking valve cover gasket and it did fine, id say very reliable car, just put gas in it and go of course it needs maintenance after you do 3k miles or oil turns black change oil and use synthetic and it lasts long time with good maintenance
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Originally posted by RoundTop:
Be sure to say which V6 you are talking about.

I believe I did in the third sentence :p .
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Taras

Post by Taras »

YOu should not have a problem with your stock K8, may be a disty common one though. Check that you got an upgraded one. And for an 8hrs trip I would get something to better lumbar support for youe seat, or you will get sore quick.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by JDM:
YOu should not have a problem with your stock K8, may be a disty common one though. Check that you got an upgraded one. And for an 8hrs trip I would get something to better lumbar support for youe seat, or you will get sore quick.
If I go crosscountry, I'd just make sure I have a socket set on hand, and make sure I only breakdown near an Autozone. :p
EddieWelsh

Post by EddieWelsh »

Originally posted by hgallegos915:
ok, I got a 92 mx3 manual and the engine was just rebuilt about 20k miles ago (not the heads) The car runs perfect..no problems, tune ups in the right time. Do you guys think this car would be a good reliable car to drive for lets say a good 6 -8 hrs? Me and my future wife are planning on moving to Dallas Tx, I live in el paso Tx (tip of texas bordering new mexico and mexico). I plan on doing a few trips every year back to el paso..are these cars reliable on long trips? I really dont like the short 5th gear but if it makes it well :D I dont want to end up stranded on the middle of the road o.0 Do the trannies and engines hold up? its a k8 engine.
Hey thats awesome,i live in El Paso TX, as well, Northeast,
I have a 93' GS (rasberry)standard.Im getting a new tranny put in at the moment, but other than that i'd say its an awesome reliable car, go for it.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've driven my Mx-3 from Niagara Falls to Ottawa and back on 2 seperate occasions with no problems, its a good 6-8 hour drive.

First was the Ottawa Mazda Meetabout a a year and 2 months ago, stil had my stock K8. There is the obvious trip up and back. But also on the second day we has a cruise, which was basically hard throttle and hard braking for almost 3 hours just to keep up with the Rx-7 guys. Engine ran fine, i just did the ZE swap cause my water pump needed to be replaced and my timming belt was overdue for a change ;) . In 2 days i did 1800kms

I also took my Mx-3 to Ottawa this winter. Had the ZE in then, but still no problems, except for my hand-brake cable snaping when i arrived (and i hate not having a hand-brake with a FWD, snow driving). Roads where snow covered. They had an insane amount of snow that weekend. I don't remember who it was but guy no this board crashed their Mx-3 that same weekend.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Jin-Roh

Post by Jin-Roh »

I drove quite regular my k8 engine up to 12 hours from
scandinavia to central europe and I never experienced any
problems with the car and I'd think you won't as long your
engine is well maintained.
And believe me I wasn't driving to slow to spare the engine
since I was on the german autobahn. :)
marcus2966

Post by marcus2966 »

I have to tell you. I have had my GS for seven years now 180.000kms and not one prob with my baby.
Roll with it or get rolled over mother%@#er!
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/478582_8_full.jpg
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

Wow, I never even considered not driving my car on my road trip this year LOL. I went from Detroit to Atlanta and back to Detroit, then back to Atlanta, then to Savannah, then back to Detroit ;) No problems at all. I got my oil changed once during the trip though. Oh, I've got a V6 with 90k miles. No problems at all. About 2800 miles in total.

<small>[ July 10, 2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: UoMDeacon ]</small>

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”