Wheel Size and Speedo

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
t595boy

Wheel Size and Speedo

Post by t595boy »

Hi there guys, first post from the UK.<BR>Got a Jap import V6 and was wondering how the speedo reads. Is it done electronically from the engine or does the rolling diameter of the wheel have to be correct for it to read accurately?<BR>Just wondered as I too am looking into joining the '17" brigade'<BR>Cheers in advance boys.
tk1138

Re: Wheel Size and Speedo

Post by tk1138 »

I belive the speed is read from the transmision.<P>As long as you use relativly low profile tires your overall diameter should be about the same. Ask about it wheen you're buing your wheels. <P>Speedometers are usually not to accurate. So maybe go to a track & get your car clocked so you know how off the spedo is.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Wheel Size and Speedo

Post by Custommx3 »

Actually you have to get the correct size tire to match the diameter of the wheel where the speedo was calibrated. If you search for tire size calculator, you can see which tire closley matches your stock size. <BR>Miata.net or something like that has the website. Do a search on goole. You may find it there. Or, you can goto whalentire.com<BR>select your car/model it wil tell u the correct siez. As far as an RS goes, 205/40's on 17" wheels.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”