wheel hop& tire hum

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Buckminster

wheel hop& tire hum

Post by Buckminster »

My 92 MX3 seems to have excessive wheel hop off the line even in normal accelleration and especially in wet conditions. Is this common? Will better tires help? I think the suspension is original. I just bought the car 5 months ago. <BR>Also I hear a kind of hum from the rear passenger side tire, and there seems to be uneven wear on that tire. Whats going on there?<BR>While I am thinking about it, how durable is the sohc four cylinder?
MX-3 SE project car.
Paragon

Re: wheel hop& tire hum

Post by Paragon »

just gotta learn how the car works, drive it the way it wants you too...i can launch without wheel hop after i've been driving my MX for about a year
Buckminster

Post by Buckminster »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paragon:<BR><STRONG>just gotta learn how the car works, drive it the way it wants you too...i can launch without wheel hop after i've been driving my MX for about a year</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Still, I had an accord that had a similar problem and it turned out to be fatigued motor mounts (the rubber dampers). It doesn't seem right. Feels harsh on components.
MX-3 SE project car.
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

I'd get the alignment checked out first. You probably should check the motor mounts as well as the bushings.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
Buckminster

Post by Buckminster »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paragon:<BR><STRONG>just gotta learn how the car works, drive it the way it wants you too...i can launch without wheel hop after i've been driving my MX for about a year</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>"<BR> how can everything be justified by you?". ?<P>What is that referring to?
MX-3 SE project car.
Buckminster

Post by Buckminster »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tk1138:<BR><STRONG>I'd get the alignment checked out first. You probably should check the motor mounts as well as the bushings.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What's with the snide remarks and the repetition? Who's asking you to say anything over and over? I didn't see any reference to this in FAQ so FAQ U.
MX-3 SE project car.
rrances

Post by rrances »

after I got my struts replaced (all around), my wheel hop disappeared.
Buckminster

Post by Buckminster »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emex three jr.:<BR><STRONG>after I got my struts replaced (all around), my wheel hop disappeared.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>finally astraight answer, thanks.
MX-3 SE project car.
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

yea once i replaced my struts my wheel hop was gone to (or maybe it was the 2in drop, or front n rear strut bars might have helped a bit to)<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
rrances

Post by rrances »

BillyBlastoff<P>Those comments aren't made to offend you. In fact, those aren't direct replies to you at all! <P>They are just message signatures. You can add one in your login configuration so that every message you post has that signature at the bottom. Most signatures mean something significant to the poster or something clever. <P>Sadly, I am not very witty so I haven't come up with anything cool to use as my signature - yet. I love reading these signatures as some are quite hilarious or thought-provoking. If you look at various posts, you will see these signatures at the bottom of each message.<P>I think those previous posters were genuinely trying to help you. You may have mistook the signatures as part of the message reply to you - they are not. They are totally separate and appear at the bottom of every one of their posts, regardless of the message.<P>I have to tell you that replacing the struts all around and getting an alignment cost me a few hundred dollars - if I remember correctly. <P>Good luck with your car! My stock GS has cost me some $$ but I have gotten some real enjoyment out of it.
Buckminster

Post by Buckminster »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emex three jr.:<BR><STRONG>BillyBlastoff<P>Those comments aren't made to offend you. In fact, those aren't direct replies to you at all! <P>They are just message signatures. You can add one in your login configuration so that every message you post has that signature at the bottom. Most signatures mean something significant to the poster or something clever. <P>Sadly, I am not very witty so I haven't come up with anything cool to use as my signature - yet. I love reading these signatures as some are quite hilarious or thought-provoking. If you look at various posts, you will see these signatures at the bottom of each message.<P>I think those previous posters were genuinely trying to help you. You may have mistook the signatures as part of the message reply to you - they are not. They are totally separate and appear at the bottom of every one of their posts, regardless of the message.<P>I have to tell you that replacing the struts all around and getting an alignment cost me a few hundred dollars - if I remember correctly. <P>Good luck with your car! My stock GS has cost me some $$ but I have gotten some real enjoyment out of it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah. I see. Well then I apologize. I did take it the wrong way. Thanks for the signpost. What about motor mount bushings? Has anyone else felt it necessary to replace them? I have another question. Instead of lowering the suspension, are there any shock/struts which give more suspension travel? Like rally racing purposes for instance?
MX-3 SE project car.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

wheel hop is usually indicative of either bad motor mounts, or really bad bushings in the lower control arm. As said before, it could also be the struts. Being that we cant see your car, you should go take a look and see what you can.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

billy - its part of a stabbing westward song
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

nobody said anything about his hum in the rear wheel. It's brobably the main bearing it's worn, replace it.
Buckminster

Post by Buckminster »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billyblastoff:<BR><STRONG><P>finally astraight answer, thanks.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks again for the input. I am looking for a good shop to do the work. Any suggestions in the GTA? Don't need high perf. just good workmanship and knowledgable.
MX-3 SE project car.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”