MX-3 ride quality

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
monkii

MX-3 ride quality

Post by monkii »

Hi, I had my 94' RS for years now, ride is always harsh with its stock suspension, stock 14" alloy rims...is it normal? It had been like that since the car was bought in 98'...my friends said my car handles wonderfully but I am just wondering if MX-3 is supposed to have such stiff suspension?<BR>Also, does anyone think the front seats a bit too hard? At least it's not ideal for long trip...like after few hours driving the car my butt starts to soar... :(
Monkii<BR>1994 while MX-3 RS
Sean Mandell

Re: MX-3 ride quality

Post by Sean Mandell »

Dont lower your car if you think stock suspension is stiff and Dont confuse mazdas with cadilacs. :roll:
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

As long as you're not having trouble w/ your current set up, e.g. botteming out, you could probably get softer springs (but NOT lowering springs). '90-94 Protege springs are supposed to be a bit softer than mx-3 springs, but of similar dimension.<BR>Replacing your bushings might help a little.<BR>Tires might make quite a bit of difference depending. <P>Adding some mass to your car will reduce 'harshness' a bit, but you'll have a more underdamped system then, i.e. bouncy, as well as being lower.<P>As for the seats, you can replace them. There's info on racing seats from the main page, but those probably aren't what you're looking for. Maybe someone knows what other car seats fit in an mx-3?<P>Good luck<p>[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: tk1138 ]
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

The seats are very uncomfortable imo. the suspension is suppose to be a little stiffer as it is a fwd sports car. but coming from an 87 rx7 to the mx-3 i could see that mx-3 is more daily driver material. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Palofpits

Post by Palofpits »

Man,the stock setup is downright cushy compared to lowered and 17's.--but oh well it's the price you pay for style and handling.<BR>Anyway I always thought the stock setup was decent,are the struts still original?
monkii

Post by monkii »

All struts and springs are stock, original size tires...ride just so bouncy...sometimes when driving over not-well-maintained road surface the interior seems going to fall apart...how do you all think about the quality of these stock suspensions compare to aftermarket parts?
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

your struts could all be screwed, replacing them could be a good idea. Does it bounce after going over a speed bump? If so you may want to look into buying new struts.
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
monkii

Post by monkii »

They still act as suspensions over speed-bumps, but when going over small dent or crack over road surface the impact can be felt throughout the frame...<BR>Would it be better if I replace with aftermarket dampers than getting stock parts? As I assume aftermarket performance parts would cost around the same as stock parts...
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monkii:<BR><STRONG>They still act as suspensions over speed-bumps, but when going over small dent or crack over road surface the impact can be felt throughout the frame...<BR>Would it be better if I replace with aftermarket dampers than getting stock parts? As I assume aftermarket performance parts would cost around the same as stock parts...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Anything aftermarket will be stiffer.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”