Best suspension combo ?? Mazdaspeed ajustable struts an

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Max

Best suspension combo ?? Mazdaspeed ajustable struts an

Post by Max »

Well i'm about to go all out on my suspension. What would be the best combo ?<BR>I've been thinking Ground control Coil overs 350 lbs front and 450 lbs rear and Mazdaspeed adjustable struts. I want a stiff ride... what do you guys think... Protege i'd like to here from you ...thanks
ProtegeSTS

Re: Best suspension combo ?? Mazdaspeed ajustable struts an

Post by ProtegeSTS »

350 fr 450 r is too much rear spring IMO. that and the mazdaspeeds wont dampen those correctly.<P>With the MS struts, 300 f 250 r would be about max.<P>For a BG chassis and probably for the EC, a ratio of 1:.8 for spring rates is good for handling. Since the EC sway bars are hard to come by...you might want to bump rear rates ~25 lbs
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>350 fr 450 r is too much rear spring IMO. that and the mazdaspeeds wont dampen those correctly.<P>With the MS struts, 300 f 250 r would be about max.<P>For a BG chassis and probably for the EC, a ratio of 1:.8 for spring rates is good for handling. Since the EC sway bars are hard to come by...you might want to bump rear rates ~25 lbs</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey guys - I ordered a set of the GC coilovers, and went with a 375 rear and 475 front setup. This is the same setup that Jeff Abrams has with his Tokico blues, and he apparently has no problems with them. I just ordered a set of the MS *front* adjustable struts, figuring that they'd definitely be able to handle the increased spring rate.<P>Protege, you're saying that the the MS adjustables won't handle it? Have you used them on your car? I was just going to go with Tokicos or something similar for the rear. <P>Max, I also have the Brullen exhaust. How do you like yours? You can PM me or email me so we don't have an exhaust system convo going on in the suspension forum! Btw, where were you gonna order your MS struts from? I put an order in from Corksport because that's really the only place I could find them. But they won't be in for like 2 weeks.
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2.5mx3:<BR><STRONG><P>Hey guys - I ordered a set of the GC coilovers, and went with a 375 rear and 475 front setup. This is the same setup that Jeff Abrams has with his Tokico blues, and he apparently has no problems with them. I just ordered a set of the MS *front* adjustable struts, figuring that they'd definitely be able to handle the increased spring rate.<P>Protege, you're saying that the the MS adjustables won't handle it? Have you used them on your car? I was just going to go with Tokicos or something similar for the rear. <P>Max, I also have the Brullen exhaust. How do you like yours? You can PM me or email me so we don't have an exhaust system convo going on in the suspension forum! Btw, where were you gonna order your MS struts from? I put an order in from Corksport because that's really the only place I could find them. But they won't be in for like 2 weeks.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me personally havent use the MS struts on my car. However, David Avard of the Protege community has the Mazdaspeeds and gave me this info. David is someone who i trust very much with suspension tuning issues, and he is not only a nice, knowledgeable, and helpful person, he is an amazing driver. the first 1st gen Protege driver to Trophy at Nationals in over 5 years this year.<P>I wouldnt doubt Jeff Abrams conclusions, but i also wonder exactly how much he really cares. Myself, i had the tokico blues, and i would NEVER run them with spring rates that high. They were well suited for my ST sport springs, which are far less than the rates youre giving.<P>Just my opinion, but Jeff's setup is more drag oriented, and would be scary on the street when pushed, IMO.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Max

Post by Max »

Well i'm curious... Luc St-Pierre races Solo and his setup is GC 350 front and 450 rear with Koni adjustable... <P>Sean Matthews setup is GC 350 front and 500 rear not sure what type of struts...<P>How will the car behave with this combo ? I'd like something that is suitable for the 1/4 track and good handling.. thanks
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

i cant honestly say how bad its going to be. My knowledge doesnt include the exact specifics of how big the change is from the BG to EC chassis. all i can say is what works well on a BG.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Max

Post by Max »

bump :D

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”