For people with zx2 struts....

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Palofpits

Re: For people with zx2 struts....

Post by Palofpits »

I had a similar noise in my car after dropping in H&R springs.<BR>The struts and springs that were on the car did not have (lower) spring seat rubbers on them,so when I put the new struts and springs in I didn't use any either.Big mistake-the clanking I was hearing was from the springs smacking the spring seats on abrubt bumps(potholes and such).<BR>So out came the struts again and this time with seat rubbers-problem solved 4 me. :D <BR>Hope this helps.
Palofpits

Post by Palofpits »

BTW:I used mx-3 struts not zx-2,so I dont know if the above post is even relevant.<BR>From the info I've read they are damn near the same though.
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

hey man, so can you please explain in more detail what you did?<BR>I did have the rubber piece on the bottom of the strut, and I put it back in.<BR>Someone suggested just rapping the spring in a rubber hose, which will soften the hits... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vlad:<BR><STRONG>hey man, so can you please explain in more detail what you did?<BR>I did have the rubber piece on the bottom of the strut, and I put it back in.<BR>Someone suggested just rapping the spring in a rubber hose, which will soften the hits... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You either need to get different springs or different struts. The coils of a spring should not almost touch each other BEFORE you hit a bump, 'cause when you hit one they'll stack solid and it's like having no suspension at all - as you've found out.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

there are usually at least one and sometimes 2 coils that will be touching with the car sitting normally. Droop travel, as ive mentioned is the reason.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Palofpits

Post by Palofpits »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vlad:<BR><STRONG>hey man, so can you please explain in more detail what you did?<BR>I did have the rubber piece on the bottom of the strut, and I put it back in.<BR>Someone suggested just rapping the spring in a rubber hose, which will soften the hits... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thats pretty much what I did.<BR>I was told by my local,friendly Mazda dealer that the rubber peice you mentioned was obsolete.<BR>I probably could've used a zx2 or protege rubber,but I just wanted it back together without the clanking,so this is what I did.<BR>I took about a foot of 1/2inch ID reinforced hose and slit it lengthwise with a razor blade and slipped it around the bottommost coil.
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>there are usually at least one and sometimes 2 coils that will be touching with the car sitting normally. Droop travel, as ive mentioned is the reason.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I guess my MX-3 with stock struts and springs isn't normal.<P> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

i meant with progressive lowering springs...<P> :p
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”