tire speed rating

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
back alley

tire speed rating

Post by back alley »

anyone know the minimum tire speed rating for the gs?<BR>i assume we go by the original tires that were used on the car?
back alley

Re: tire speed rating

Post by back alley »

?? :(
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

speed ratings mean nothing...unless you plan on doing 130mph for extended periods of time.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
back alley

Post by back alley »

are you saying it's just hype. i thought you were never supposed to buy tires with a lesser rating than the originals? are cars not designed to use a specific rated tire for best and safest performance? <BR>i must have too much time, i think about all kinds of s--- and then worry too much. thanks again.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by back alley:<BR><STRONG>are you saying it's just hype. i thought you were never supposed to buy tires with a lesser rating than the originals? are cars not designed to use a specific rated tire for best and safest performance? <BR>i must have too much time, i think about all kinds of s--- and then worry too much. thanks again.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>speed ratings are a value given to a specific tire by putting it under a load at high speeds for extended period of time, usually an hour. <P>Case in point. I used to have some old Toyo Proxes FZ4s in a 205-40ZR16 size. These were a Z rated tire. They absolutely sucked as far as grip went. They looked nice and all, but were awful tires. Last year, i had some 195-60HR14 Falken Azenis on my car. So these were not only 2 "speed ratings down", but also one size narrower, and had a LOT bigger sidewall. These things would outcorner the Toyos all day long, wet or dry.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
back alley

Post by back alley »

i'm gonna stop reading and just drive more.<BR>thanks again.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”