Clunk sound in front suspension

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
RiEnHaRp

Clunk sound in front suspension

Post by RiEnHaRp »

Well Im here again! THis problem is with the front suspension. It started out I had the stock ride and then bought the Jamex springs off Ebay acouple of months ago. I sold those springs and put my stocks back on and eversince there is a sound that is like the spring coils hitting each other on or a popping sound in the front when I go over one of those 3 ft long neighbor hood speedbumps or go over a large dip in the road. How would I diagnois this as a Ball Joint? I did have this looked at and they told me new Struts should take care of it. But the struts still make "Shhh" sounds when I sit on it or even going over the normal speed bumps. Any suggestions?
jaydog5678

Re: Clunk sound in front suspension

Post by jaydog5678 »

Is everything tight? Make sure the srut mounts are tight. Are the spring seats put back in? On the strut mount, there is a bolt in the center that is connected to the strut rod. If it's not tight, it will make noise when you drive over bumps, etc. It will hit the hood of your car. Just a possibility.<p>[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: jaydog5678 ]
RiEnHaRp

Post by RiEnHaRp »

Hey Jay, can you Or Anyone Else who Reads this post, Tell me what your struts look like inside the Engine?? On my Pass side, inside the circle on the car body that the strut mount goes through, Well its closer to the firewall side and on the drivers , that mount is closer to the front of the car. Are the mounts suppose to be centered in that hole that the mounts come up through, or closer to one side than the other??? ****ANY ONE Who Read this please let me know what you can find******<P> Many THanks!!!!
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

There are 4 nuts that hold down the strut mount to the body of the car. The nut in the center holds the strut mount to the strut itself. make sure its tight! It should be centered inside.
RiEnHaRp

Post by RiEnHaRp »

Well Ive centered the mounts, used an Impact gun to tighten everybolt on the front suspension. I still have the clunk sound as if the springs want to pop out when I hit a speedbump or a dip in the road. I think I may have damaged the spring when I put the old springs back on. They gave me the most of troubles when putting them back. Never had it been this difficult, so I compressed the springs as far as the compressor would go , and When I did that I bet I took some of the height out of the springs. After the test drive, I grabed the springs with my hands and could feel one of them move.<P> I,I,I, I, how many freakin I's do I have?<P> Well thanks for the replys on this, Rien
RiEnHaRp

Post by RiEnHaRp »

ITS REPAIRED!!!!! Well after all it was my springs, I must of damaged them when I compressed them all the way, so if anyone out there is a first timer , DOnt compress all the way!! I bought some from a 88,000 mile car and installed them, and WOW, No Clunks and its a little firmer ride compared to my 120,000 mile struts that were on there!<P> Thanks for the help with this, Rien

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”