springs

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
RaspMetalicMX3SE

springs

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

I just want to lower my car an inch or less to lessen the gap in my wheel wells to my tires. I was wondering if theere is a company that sells thta lil of a drop?
ProtegeSTS

Re: springs

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Suspension techniques are ~1".
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Post by Guest »

just cut a coil or 2 and it will be all good.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by louie:<BR><STRONG>just cut a coil or 2 and it will be all good.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>NO!!<P>if you are going to cut springs, BAD IDEA TO BEGIN WITH, never cut THAT much off. 2 coils would drop the car way more than an inch....more about 2.5 or more. If youre going to cut, start cutting ~1/4 of a coil at a time until you like where the car sits.<P>Again, this is a BAD idea. The spring rates will be off, the struts will blow faster, and your handling will suffer.<P>For ~150 bucks, you can get REAL springs, and be safe.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

you shouldn't chop your springs:<BR>1)It is extremely dangerous to drive at highway speeds as a serious bump could set the spring off line.<BR>2)cops will know if you chopped your springs because at night when your lights are on you will be bouncing around.<BR>3)never sacrifice safety for looks!!!!!!!
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

read horror stories of chopped springs busting out and popping tires. You think a lowered car is rouch, chopped springs are hell.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Just think of the kind of camber correction you will need with 2 coils cut on the springs. Buy cutting 2 coils off MY factory springs there would be a drop over 4"....yeah, bad idea. <P>It would be a wiser choice in buying lowering springs.
white fish

Post by white fish »

If one where to cut a 1/4 inch off their springs what end would one do that from?
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaydog5678:<BR><STRONG>Just think of the kind of camber correction you will need with 2 coils cut on the springs. Buy cutting 2 coils off MY factory springs there would be a drop over 4"....yeah, bad idea. <P>It would be a wiser choice in buying lowering springs.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>there is no camber correction on strut equipped cars. You people dont own hondas.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

If you put lowering spring on your car, is there a sacrifice in safety or handling?
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>there is no camber correction on strut equipped cars. You people dont own hondas.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Excuse me, I speak for myself so let me justify my question. So if I were to drop my car 4", you don't think I would need to adjust my camber for longer tread life? Of course. <P>It's not a Honda really, looks more like a neon from the front. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaydog5678:<BR>[QB]<P> Excuse me, I speak for myself so let me justify my question. So if I were to drop my car 4", you don't think I would need to adjust my camber for longer tread life? Of course. QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Ok...<BR> Image <P>This is your typical double wishbone setup. As you can see on the left, body roll causes a camber change.<P>Now...<BR> Image <BR>This is what YOU and every other MX-3 owner has. Notice that if you compress the spring, your camber change is not even close to what it would be for the double wishbone suspension.<P>"The advantages of the MacPherson strut include its simple design of fewer components, widely spaced anchor points that reduce loads, and efficient packaging. From a designer's viewpoint, its disadvantages include a relatively high overall height which tends encourage a higher hood and fender line, and its relatively limited camber change during jounce."
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
xtcme

Post by xtcme »

Geez, cutting springs? See Jesse I told ya on TR, at least every week. Go to Nopi or Cork and grab some SUS TECH heres a link for the lazy....$153.14<BR> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fus ... A%20MX%2D3" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fus ... 0MX%2D3</A> <P>Dave<p>[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: D A V E ]
o69er, o69er, we got wh*res in the city, we need backup now!
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

I found some Eibachs that are 1.0 in the back and 1.3 in the front. Think there any good?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RaspMetalicMX3SE:<BR><STRONG>I found some Eibachs that are 1.0 in the back and 1.3 in the front. Think there any good?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>eibachs are good springs.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”