performance brakes

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
millionflame

performance brakes

Post by millionflame »

Are there any sort of performance, or at least higher quality, brake calipers (or a brake system) for the MX3 out there??? I know there are TONNES for everything else like RX7s, hondas, and acuras. Could I use any of those fancy systems for our car???<P>Thanks, Aiden. :)
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
ProtegeSTS

Re: performance brakes

Post by ProtegeSTS »

yeah, there are a few systems out there. However, going to larger brakes is merely a "looks" thing. A good set of pads, fresh fluid, and stainless lines, and you'll have a braking MACHINE :cool: <P>The whole big brakes debate is good and bad. The good being that of course, more brakes are always good. The bad is that people dont realize that they usually dont NEED big brakes at all. Once again, the most important thing in any brake system is the TIRES. These are the things that the brakes use to stop you. Bad tires = bad braking.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

get some stainless lines motul brake fluid axxis pads and cross drilled or slotted rotors
Steve
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stevech_2001:<BR><STRONG>get some stainless lines motul brake fluid axxis pads and cross drilled or slotted rotors</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i dont like the idea of slotted or crossdrilled rotors. Not much of a point. And yea, i actually have cross-drilled rotors on my car, and given the shot now, i wouldnt have bought them.<P>As for pads, ive been quite happy with Hawk HPS front pads. David can attest to how well they stop.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

What dont you like about the cross-drilled, or slotted, rotors? I've heard they dissepate the heat faster and thus give you better stopping power, but I could be wrong.<P>Also, are re-built OEM calipers just as good as anything else out there???<P>Thanks, Aiden. :)
pelado

Post by pelado »

Cross-drilled rotors were initially developed to allow the gas from brake pad compounds to vent off in race cars. Brake pad compounds have greatly improved and now cross-drilled rotors are always associated with performance machines but are purely cosmetic. They actually reduce the rotor's surface area.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Thanks pelado, I would have to agree with you on that they are not better in any way. I'll just stick with the cheaper ones!<P>~A

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”