Need help installing rear strut bar...please!!!

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Brainless

Need help installing rear strut bar...please!!!

Post by Brainless »

I had no problem installing the front one but the rear one is an other story. Here's list of problem and question I'm having:<P>-I already knew I had to cut some plastic but the metal thing that holds the seatbelt won't fit unless I cut some metal out od it...is that normal (will I still be able to intall the seatbelts?)<P>-When I unbolted the seatbelts, I put it on the rear seats and now it won't unroll back, what do I have to do to unlock the seatbelt mecanism?<P>-After cutting the plastic, will the trunk cover still hold in place?<P>Thankx for your help!!!! :)
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Brainless

Re: Need help installing rear strut bar...please!!!

Post by Brainless »

Ok I found an answer to all my question except one:<P>How do I cut the metal of the parts that holds the seatbelts?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

I used my Dremel with a reinforced cut-off wheel. Else you can probably use a saw (with a metal cutting blade), or a jigsaw (be sure to clamp down the metal piece!).<P>But yeah, there's no 'easy' way to do it, just take your time. And if you're using electric tools to do it, let the tool do the work and don't force it (or else the cut won't be straight).<P>All you want to do is cut out a squarish/rectangle shape, enough for the bar to pass through w/o touching the metal. You can just fit the bar onto the struts, then mark off the width and height that the bar requires. Then put the metal thing back on and mark off how much you need to cut off. Try and make it as close as possible -- you can always to back and trim more off, but you can't put back any excess that you cut!
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

i have pictures of how I cut my metal bracket if you need them<P>@ds
- EUNOS 30X -
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eunosads:<BR><STRONG>i have pictures of how I cut my metal bracket if you need them<P>@ds</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yes I would like to, my email is j_micho@hotmail.com
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
InTeGy911

Post by InTeGy911 »

what is it that you have to cut to install a strut tower bar ?
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InTeGy911:<BR><STRONG>what is it that you have to cut to install a strut tower bar ?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>there is a cup that hold the rear seat belts.....u need to cut a square in it....also u need to cut a hole in the plastic.....i used a 1/2 hole cutting bit and a dremel to do mine<P>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brainless:<BR><STRONG><P>yes I would like to, my email is j_micho@hotmail.com</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>sorry man.. I only just got around to replying to this post.. email me on eunosads@optushome.com.au if you still need the pics.. <P>@ds
- EUNOS 30X -
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
NJDOHC1.6

Post by NJDOHC1.6 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brainless:<BR><STRONG>I had no problem installing the front one but the rear one is an other story. Here's list of problem and question I'm having:<P>-I already knew I had to cut some plastic but the metal thing that holds the seatbelt won't fit unless I cut some metal out od it...is that normal (will I still be able to intall the seatbelts?)<P>-When I unbolted the seatbelts, I put it on the rear seats and now it won't unroll back, what do I have to do to unlock the seatbelt mecanism?<P>-After cutting the plastic, will the trunk cover still hold in place?<P>Thankx for your help!!!! :)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey I have the same problem with my seatbelts, I took them off in the rear to install my struts, and I cant unlock the seatbelt mechanism.....How did you do that man?
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

the seat belt mechism should unbolt from the support....least that is what mine did<P>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NJDOHC1.6:<BR><STRONG><P>Hey I have the same problem with my seatbelts, I took them off in the rear to install my struts, and I cant unlock the seatbelt mechanism.....How did you do that man?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> They are a pain to roll back out. I just pulled ever soo slowly...pull a lil, then when they stop..let them roll back in a tad..when you hear a click...pull then out slow again...then they will stop again.. push back in til the click again.. In and out..takes a while but thats what you gotta do. Good luck!!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

I developed a very good solution to this.. my car has absolutally no interior... well it has a seat and remnats of a dash...
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”