Quality of these coilovers??

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
ProtegeSTS

Re: Quality of these coilovers??

Post by ProtegeSTS »

ouch.... they are going to blow. Good luck
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
wgale

Post by wgale »

So guys,<BR>How did it all turn out for you. I know Joel said that he got an extra inch with the new coils in the front, but I have heard from Tawheed or Codene. What kind of drop were you guys able to achieve. Is it nice and stiff or bouncy. Thanks!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by THStrumpet:<BR><STRONG>Well, i got new struts and the difference is incredible!! It was most certainly NOT the coilovers that were making my ride so bouncy. As for the drop in the front, Ground Control requires that you cut off that one piece on your struts, i forget what its called, but AIM didn't say to. The shop ended up cutting that part off and welding on a washer to support the coilover, making it drop a little bit more, maybe and inch. The front is still SLIGHTLY higher than the back, but I am pleased with it. I will take pics tommorow and post them.<P>Joel<P>PS. I would say now that if you have the money get Ground Control, if not get lowering springs. But who knows, maybe you will have better luck with these coilovers than I did.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> They tell you to cut the bump stop in half. You guys suurue are havin alot of problems with these coils. Is is worth all this hassle? Thank god I went with GC
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
THStrumpet

Post by THStrumpet »

Like I said, if you got money just get Ground Control, if not, just get lowering springs. I had so much trouble with these! Even still the front is not as low as I want, but I figured I can't do much about it, I don't have time. Maybe I will raise the back up a little. If you want somtime next week I will take pics and post them on my website.
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

I live my life a quarter mile at a time, nothing else matters, for those 22 seconds or more, I'm free.
codene

Post by codene »

i was pretty happy with the drop. i have 16" rims with 205/45 tires and i only have about a 1/2" gap in the back. still havent put on my front ones. im very lazy and plus ive been busy repairing the rear quarter panel as my cousin decided to run a red liight :( but hes paying for it so ..... just got a free paint job out of the deal. oh well its very very bumpy!!!!! but i still have my stock struts.
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mail_cory_here" TARGET=_blank>Codenes Car</A>
THStrumpet

Post by THStrumpet »

Try to take pics of it, i want to see. I will have my updated pics up by next week!
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

I live my life a quarter mile at a time, nothing else matters, for those 22 seconds or more, I'm free.
wgale

Post by wgale »

Joel,<BR>Do you have any pics of your car since you installed the new springs in the front. I just ordered a set today, so hopefully they included the shorted springs. The on the phone didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about, when I mentioned that I knew of two people who needed shorted springs in the front.<BR>Wes
THStrumpet

Post by THStrumpet »

I have been kinda busy, sorry, I will try and take pics on wednesday.<BR> Just remember, like with Ground Control, u have to cut off the strut lip, or whatever it is called. Ask people who have bought Ground Control, they will know. AIM coilovers did not say to, but you are supposed to. <BR> Ground control comes with like some kinda giant washer or something to put back on so the spring will stay in place, the shop I had it done, just welded a custom washer thing since AIM doesnt come with it.
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Man, was your guys main goal to lower the car and or change the stance or was it to improve the handling? <P>Those rigged setups don't sound like they're very safe. Screwing up your suspension will lead to poor handling and braking, and that can be dangerous at high speeds.<P>Have you done any real/practice manuevering or quick stops since the changes, and what was it like? Are these daily drivers you're doing this to?
THStrumpet

Post by THStrumpet »

Here is a pic but i wasnt tryin to take it of just my car, but u can kinda see it. <A HREF="http://members.cox.net/thstrumpet/pics/ ... 2/t001.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://members.cox.net/thstrumpet/pics/ ... 001.jpg</A> Yes it is a daily driver, I commute to school, it seems to handle and brake okay, however I do need to get strut bars and the rear lower tie bar.
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

CanadianMx-3

Post by CanadianMx-3 »

that looks alright for an RS. How low do you want to go.<P><BR>For those who want to know what to cut, I did a GC set up on my boys g20 saturday and I got his old eibachs. The rubber part is called a BUMPSTOP!<p>[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: CanadianMx-3 ]
Dedicated SR20 SLUT

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”