Wheel Hop

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
fieval79
Supporting Member

Wheel Hop

Post by fieval79 »

How bad is wheel hop?? I mean, I know it's bad, but how much is bad?<P>Here in Tucson, Az.....U-turns are legal. I have noticed that when I u-turn (frequently) and have to get a move on it......my car will not get any traction whatsoever and hops until I let off and pray that the cars coming don't hit me.<P>3 of the 4 rubbers around the car are brand new, the other one is less than a year old. If that helps any. The roads out here aren't the best quality either...... What do you guys think?
ProtegeSTS

Re: Wheel Hop

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fieval79:<BR><STRONG>How bad is wheel hop?? I mean, I know it's bad, but how much is bad?<P>Here in Tucson, Az.....U-turns are legal. I have noticed that when I u-turn (frequently) and have to get a move on it......my car will not get any traction whatsoever and hops until I let off and pray that the cars coming don't hit me.<P>3 of the 4 rubbers around the car are brand new, the other one is less than a year old. If that helps any. The roads out here aren't the best quality either...... What do you guys think?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>check the motor mounts. Also try to be a bit smoother with your throttle application.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

motor mount dont give you horsepower!!!!
Odom X

Post by Odom X »

How difficult is it to replace the motor mount? Any special tools needed?
Odom<BR>93 Red MX-3 1.6L
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oo7sniper:<BR><STRONG>It does at the wheels by converting the energy wasted on the motor twisting to energy going to the wheels. Call Derick at Corksport 1-503-252-5700. He will back me up.<P>----------------------------<P>Jeremy Miller<BR>93 Mazda MX-3 RS-R</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>HE IS TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING. Your car will NOT be any faster in a straight line. Test it yourself.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<B>Post Moved to the Suspension Forum</B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
maldo

Post by maldo »

A cheaper way of getting rid of wheel hop is to modify your existing mounts. You can buy a polyurethane compound that you can use to make the mounts solid. I also just found a guy on the GTX egroups who used Windo Weld to make his solid. Windo Weld is used to repair windshields and is available at most automotive shops so you should be able to find it.
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

one thing the replaced motor mounts WILL do, is reduce torque steer.. which is a pain in the A$$ especially when your after a quick getaway...<BR>I know this cos I just got my front and rear ones replaced. my god it made a difference.. very good.. <BR>and I agree, it will get the power to the ground better.. and a lot smoother.. whether this makes your WHP any different I don't know.. <BR>new motor mounts are worth the pennies as far as I am concerned...<P>@ds
- EUNOS 30X -
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

Yeah, i do have a lot of torque steer.....after replacing my axles 4 months ago.......I have noticed in 1st and 2nd gear when ever I take off......i'm fighting the car to keep it off the left side of the road.... :)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”