What is a nitrous blowdown used for?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mdavis

What is a nitrous blowdown used for?

Post by mdavis »

Hey I've been trying to figure out for a long time jsut what a nitrous blowdow pipe is used for... I know you need it to run at the track, but is it some sort of safety N2O drainer or something? Can I just use my purge to clear the line/will they let me do that instead? :shrug: Thanks.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mx3man83

Re: What is a nitrous blowdown used for?

Post by mx3man83 »

If you have a hatch back or the bottle in the interior of the car you need a blow down tube. It's a safety measure. If the nitrous blows out the safety valve, the tube routs the nitrous outside the vehicle instead of inside the cabin. I ran at the track without one, I just went throug tech without my bottle, put it in after tech.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hmmm.... do you know what size fitting they are? I want to get a flexable one... do you know where I can?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I talked to my local ricer shop about the same thing. I asked if i could rig some sort of tube up but he said no, the tech guys want to see something legit. He offered to sell me one for 30 bucks :shrug: Pretty cheap, but I haven't had a chance to go to the track in a while so i don't need it quite yet.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Somebody once told me you could do that actually.. (with the flexable tubing) I doubt the tech guys at the track would care.... I will look into it and post back when it's resolved... If the flexable tube doesn't work out, what do you recommend? Where is a good place to drill for the "legit" blow-down? Thanks.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

i have been following this post and to answer mdavis's questions , it would be really trick to use the rear windshield spraying nozzle for your no2 blowdown tube , of course it would only look cool if your nitrous went bad but if it did it would look sick plus you could conceal the tubing with the plastic coverings on the hatch
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Yeah lol. There is no wa the tech guys would go for that - also there is way too much pressure in the bottle to connect it to that line...
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Originally posted by koreanmx-er:
it would be really trick to use the rear windshield spraying nozzle for your no2 blowdown tube ,
That would be absolutely retarded. Yeah, how cool would you look when people see a whole bottle of nitrous being wasetd out of your rear wiper nozzle? If I saw that, I'd point and laugh. MDavis, if you look where your spare tire is, there are two little rubber gromets. If you pull them out, there are holes. Use those to run your nitrous line and your blow down tube.
My Cardomain site
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

no no no you got it all wrong im not saying use the current washer nozzle line, what im trying to say is just use that spot so you dont have to create holes in your body, id never use that rubber tubing for a n02 blow down , i was thinking like a stainless steel hi-pressure water line, like those used on pessure washers, then just route it to the nozzle spot :shrug:
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Originally posted by mx3man83:
Originally posted by koreanmx-er:
[qb]MDavis, if you look where your spare tire is, there are two little rubber gromets. If you pull them out, there are holes. Use those to run your nitrous line and your blow down tube.
Sweet, thanks, I will check that out tomorrow.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Ya know, My friend and i have been looking a Pocket bikes and pocket bike nos kits and they just use high proessure nylon tubes. Its like $12 for 10 ft. And it is totally flexable. That is the stuff they use for Crotch Rockets so why not use it in a car? Then you can use your nos like off of F&F 2 when they shoot it from the fenders. And yes it is NOS they are wasteing, not CO2 like everyone says...

Return to “Forced Induction”