check valves

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

check valves

Post by babyblueMX3 »

hey guys I was wondering what these do in a force induction system..My freind got a paseo turbo and had to use check valves cuz he said his ecu didn't read boost..Do we need those.. I would like to somebody to explain this to me..thanks
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
rebel2k4

Re: check valves

Post by rebel2k4 »

Check valves(one way valves) can be used for many things.

Sometimes turbo honda's as well as other turboed cars use check or bleeder valves in line to their map sensors so that they dont get a CEL when they go into boost as the ECU is not made to read values given off by a MAP in boost.

Thats all I can think of.

As far as turboing a V6, just about the only thing you're going to need a check valve for is the PCV if you have it hooked up where it would get positive pressure.

Our VAF system if very stupid and has no idea what the pressure is of the air coming in. Just put it post turbo like I have mine and you will have no ECU problems, just fuel tuning :)

<small>[ June 16, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: rebel2k4 ]</small>
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by rebel2k4:

As far as turboing a V6, just about the only thing you're going to need a check valve for is the PCV if you have it hooked up where it would get positive pressure.

Is this why people put breathers in line there?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
MX3ze@7psi

Post by MX3ze@7psi »

Nope when I turbocharged my KF-ZE I didn't need to use check valves.
MX3 KL-DE, probe/mx6 ebay turbo pipes, T3/T4 50 trim @ 8psi, millenia injectors, SAFC2, intercooled,Greddy RS BOV, turbonetic 38mm external wastegate. Wisco 9.5 forged piston, millenia S rods, and high performance rings coiming in soon. Shooting for 400whp this summer.
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
Originally posted by rebel2k4:

Is this why people put breathers in line there?
Well yeah, if you run the PCV open to the atmosphere, you want some kind of filter to make sure no debris can get in there, as it is a direct opening to your engine.

As far as running boost to it, you will have either smoking problems and/or blow your oil dipstick out. positive pressure is not meant to be forced into the crankcase, it pushes oil past the rings and into the combustion chamber.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse

Return to “Forced Induction”