Ram Air F/I

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
SE-Man

Ram Air F/I

Post by SE-Man »

Hello,
I Know ram air isn't as big a as turboing and SCing cars, but I got into a discussion with a gearhead Ram Air Firebird owner. Suposivly around 60 miles per hour you can have up to 3-5psi of cold air forced into your engine. Thats the strenght of a low end turbo!! Mosly its depending on the Intake set up, Like my hood opening is 8"X2" and will be reduced to my intake size of 2 1/2" cusing a pressure increase with the forced air. So in theory If you were to make a top speed car, at arount 120MPH you could have close to 1 bar being forced into your engine. The down side is you'd not have any of the F/I from the light, only on the go.

So my question is, dose anyone no the PSI of resistence on a car at 60mph?

What do you think the HP increase at 60mph would be?

And what your thoughts on this subject?
DavidOS

Re: Ram Air F/I

Post by DavidOS »

i dont think it would act as forced induction on our cars.
Reason being is the car is still determining the air/fuel mixture to be injected and burned weather your WOT or just cruising at that speed.

Id say the air is colder but not 5psi forced.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

wonder if you could hook up some type of blower, get you like a belt driven blower, throw an UR underive pulley on, then with the addition of another pulley you should keep the same hp that you had originally, plus you have air now being litterally forced into your intake, rather than just having a forced air intake
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

You know your theory is somewhat wrong there, since you are going from a large opening to a smaller opening, you have a larger pressure entering the ram hood at a lower velocity, when the air enters the smaller diameter intake pipe, the air turns from high pressure, low velocity, to low pressure, high velocity air, there is not a large amount of (boost) or pressure entering the engine, it is just air moving really fast. So the problem is that even though all this extra air is entering your engine, you can still only charge the cylinder up to atmospheric pressure, plus maybe a little, almost negligible extra because of the "ram air" effect, the high velocity air will just make it so that your cylinder is charged quicker with air, and thats about it, there is no real boost involved. See Bernoullis Theory.

<small>[ April 05, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Kokaneedude ]</small>
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

hummm..... so all the pressure would be in the intake, and none in the engine, cuz theirs nothing to keep it from leaking out the way it came in.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by Mnemonic:
wonder if you could hook up some type of blower, get you like a belt driven blower, throw an UR underive pulley on, then with the addition of another pulley you should keep the same hp that you had originally, plus you have air now being litterally forced into your intake, rather than just having a forced air intake
I hope your being sarcastic, but thats exactly how a supercharger works...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
I hope your being sarcastic, but thats exactly how a supercharger works...
:D :D :D
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

Thats right SE man, its just the the way this works, you have a large ram air scoop, and a small intake pipe, since the ram air scoop can build very little pressure just from driving fast, you have even less pressure in the intake to push in your engine, like i said, basically all you have is high velocity air entering our engine, not high pressure, so if you dont have the air pressure to over some the pressure inside the cylinder at bottom dead center, which is basically atmospheric, then you really get no "boost" out of it, all ram air will help you do is fill your cylinder faster at higher car speeds and it will make sure you arent sucking in hot engine air. If you actually had a turbo on the other hand, this would help to spool the turbo quicker since less load would be on the turbine to spin the compressor since high velocity air is entering the turbo compressor which it could change to high pressure itself.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

:D :D :D
;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

can i say one thing most stock turbo run @ 5psi...it tuners that increase the boost
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com

Return to “Forced Induction”