Brought out the MX-3 today

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Brought out the MX-3 today

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

Went and registered my MX and brought it home from my grandmother's house today, and I can really say that I'm happy as hell right now. I forgot how much I really love this car!

Right now she's filthy, has a dead battery (HOW DID MY OPTIMA YELLOWTOP DIE?!?! NOOOOO!!!!), and severely needs BRAKES. And my shift knob somehow broke off. Damn.

Time to give her a good cleaning =D
By the way, how much would it usually cost to do the brakes? I'm assuming I'd need pads, rotors, and whatever else.. I have drums in the back, so I'm thinking I'll do those while I'm at it, although I've heard they are a P.I.T.A.!

Would it be worth it for me to do the work myself or would a Meineke type place be a better bet? I've never done brake work before but I'm good with cars.. Thanks guys
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
UKMXV6

Re: Brought out the MX-3 today

Post by UKMXV6 »

Me and my mate did me pads and disc's (rotors) last year and the hard part was dealing with the bolts that were well and trully stuck. Once we got past that it was very straight forward. Worth having a go at it your self. Never done drums before, (as the V6 has got disc's front and back) but i was reading a post about getting at them the other day just do a search and you will find all you need.

Nice one P :2thumbsup:
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Agreed. Would seriously consider doing the work yourself although you should probably have some kind of adequate service manual instructions handy since this is your first time on DIY brake maintenance. It is def straightforward stuff (including the drums) & labor costs can kill ya if a shop does the work. I've seen too many shoddy brake shop jobs to feel all warm and fuzzy about the work they say was done, actually was completed and in a quality way. My 2 cents...
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

i would do work myself, if you got stuck bolts just buy some WD-40 and have breaker bar ready. of course do it yourself if you sure you can do it cause you dont want brakes to fade on you. Of course you can always try and if you cant do it just put it back together and take it to local brake shop.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Might wanna go with something like Liquid Wrench or better yet, PB Blaster for seized/rusty bolts. WD40 is more a lubricant spray than anything else & not highly effective on freeing stubborn parts. I switched to PB Blaster several years ago when the mechanic I sometimes used turned me onto it. IMHO, the stuff cannot be beat. Used to be hard to find but I think Advanced Auto Parts carries it now and maybe other places too. It literally penetrates & dissolves rust but won't harm any rubber parts.
Damious

Post by Damious »

disc brakes are pretty easy to do. but drums... ugh god i hate drums... :freak: lol)
-Damian

***if u know of/have a mx-3 GS with a blown engine and live around me... let me know ;) ***
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Don't forget to bleed your brakes before you start working. You'll regret it if you don't.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Originally posted by Illa Killa:
Don't forget to bleed your brakes before you start working. You'll regret it if you don't.
? If you dont take the brake lines off you shouldnt have to bleed anything. :shrug:
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
FlyingMXer

Post by FlyingMXer »

Bleeding isn't needed unless you open the lines. If your talking about having to push the calipers back in to get the new pads in that can easily done with a c-clamp. Also, the best way I have found to do drums is to use a floorjack or stands so you can take both tires off at once. Then, remove drums and redo one side using the other side as a guide to make sure you have all of the springs in the right places. Finally do the other side, and if you have to you have the fixed wheel to refer to. Not too hard, just make sure you have a good set of pliers to stretch the springs. :)

Ohh and also a good idea to get a can of brake cleaner to get all of that old dust out while you have them open.

<small>[ May 26, 2004, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: FlyingMXer ]</small>
Later, D
92 4-banger (totaled unfortunately. Current ride is 2001 Mustang GT)
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Originally posted by FlyingMXer:
...Not too hard, just make sure you have a good set of pliers to stretch the springs... :)
Yup, and you can purchase an inexpensive type of pliers specifically designed for working on drum assemblies if needed. Think I pd. around 6-$7 for mine.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

:werd:
You definitely should do it yourself if you can. When I first got my GS, I needed a brake job. I went to Brake Depot just for laughs and the dude quoted me almost $500 for four wheels: new rotors and pads! I then went to my local Autozone (Discount was outta stock for the rotors) and paid less than $75 for the parts. Did it myself in about 1.5 hours. Those guys make a killing.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Dean, the discs are real easy...hit me up on AIM if you need help....i still have my Chilton's manual in my garage, you can take it...prob. will help with the drums. Later
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

I'm goin to buy the pads and rotors tomorrow. I don't know if I'll do the drums now.. they probably don't need it. I dunno though..

I have a chiltons here somewhere :2thumbsup:
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Drums arnt hard, I found them to be easier then my disks... but I'm wierd I guess . :werd:
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Shades

Post by Shades »

To make sure you battery doesn't die next time you store your car... you should start your car up at least once a month and let it idle or drive it for 15 minutes... just to let the battery recharge. As you know, batteries do loose their charge over time.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”