How much Boost?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
osargeant

How much Boost?

Post by osargeant »

Hi Guys,

I have a turbocharged Mazda MX3 running around 7/8psi of boost for a couple of months now and am very keen to know how much boost I can actually run on this vehicle safely.

Here is my setup
- 1994 Mazda MX 1.6 DOHC
- GTX Manifold
- VJ5 (MX6) Turbo
- 1.8 Miata Injectors
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- Vortech FMU
- Autometer A/F,Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges
- 2.25" exhaust without cat
- Sports filter
- TurboXS BOV
- TurboXS Manual Boost Controller (Not Installed)
- MSD Boost Timing Master

My a/f gauge reads rich even on idle and I have never see it dip below Stoich. How much boost can I run on this vehicle.

Please advise.

Web Site: http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=310985
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
OsoSlo z28

Re: How much Boost?

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

to say how much boost you can run isn't possible. people are under the misconception that all motors react the same way. it varies depending on mileage, care of the motor, etc. another factor is degree of tuning. i can sit here and say you can run 10psi, but the next guys motor might blow at 6, and another guy runs 14 all day long. your best bet is to throw it on a dyno and tune it to a safe level.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

How many miles you have on your car?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

I see 127,000kms on the cluster.. is that accurate? :shrug:
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

The vehicle has around 130,000kms or 80,000miles

Hope this will help.

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Well.... On MY 94 DOHC with 114k I run 10 pounds every day with no problem. One thing though...IT is not my daily driver anymore.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

racing mazda is tuning mine for about 15psi as we speak, but we will see if we can get all that Ric seems to think we can and for what he has done with SOHC it might just happen.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

are you both of guys running nonintercooled at that psi? how much power are you guys making?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i was hitting 9 psi and blew my engine. it had under 40K origional miles on it. and i was taking it real easy on the car. the only thing that me and several other people can figure out why it blew, is the cams that im running, its the only thing that iv done differently than everyone else running the same setup. too much power for the stock engine, its a shame i didnt get to dyno it. oh well the new built up engine will be arriving next week.
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

what kinda cams were you running?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

there made by INTEGRAL CAMS. and there stage 3 Miata cams at 260 seat duration and 9.52MM lift. with thies cams and some other little custom stuff, my auto was keeping up with or doing better than stock Integra's and the mx V6. the only thing i need is some adjustable cam gears and they will be perfect. the powerban is awsome, it kicks in at about 4 gran. the ATX had trouble with having the power to fully bennifit the cams. but with the turbo its quite insane.
the only thing with the cams is on the mx the dist is on the exaust cam and on the miata its on the intake. so it takes some playing around to get the timing perfect, thats why i need adj. cam grars.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Just to give you guys an update on my car.

I forget to mention that I am using the stock 323 GTX Intercooler and I have installed the TurboXS Manual Boost Controller and have been running 9/10 psi for a couple weeks now.

The engine internals are completely stock at this point.

I am looking at changing from the Vortech FMU to a Cartech fully adjustable FMU unit shortly though.

Will try to get some new pictures for you guys to see shortly.

<small>[ December 07, 2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: mx3dohc16 ]</small>

osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Latest update.

The Cartech/BEGI Adjustable Rising Rate FPR has been installed and I have been running 9psi for the last couple of weeks now.

The car is moving very good at this point and I am very satisifed with the performance. The difference between the car when it was NA and now is amazing.

I want to do some 1/4mile runs to get an idea of what times the car is doing.

Will try to get some pictures for you guys shortly.

Return to “Forced Induction”