exahaust sounds

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
heatherc

exahaust sounds

Post by heatherc »

Okay....I need to get a new muffler and/or exhaust. I really like the sound I get when I'm in motion. Is there any specific kind of muffler/exhaust that I should put on my car? I like to make some commotion when I move...not too loud, just a nice, smooth purr.....any suggestions?<P>hgcmx3
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
heatherc

Re: exahaust sounds

Post by heatherc »

well..lemme know how ya like it and what it's going to cost me.....oh yeah..and where you bought it.<P>thanx hgcmx3
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
92RedGS

Post by 92RedGS »

i put a flowmaster 40 series on mine and it sounds awsome on the outside of the car but it's a little loud on the inside because it echos from the hatch when the windows are closed. besides that it sounds very deep and turns heads as you drive because its not the normal high pitched honda with the Big a-- muffler sound.
92RedGS :)<BR>I'm Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in. Say aren't you the guy from the Village People?
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Hey man,<BR> Thank god someone else has finally stepped up and got somethin other than a bumblebee exhaust. I have the same on my RS and its a totally different sound than anything else. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 92RedGS:<BR><B>i put a flowmaster 40 series on mine and it sounds awsome on the outside of the car but it's a little loud on the inside because it echos from the hatch when the windows are closed. besides that it sounds very deep and turns heads as you drive because its not the normal high pitched honda with the Big a-- muffler sound.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

In '97 I put a glasspack {reversed extened out 6inches}on mine, it sounded bad a--, but hella loud. I felt the HP gain from it, but not to sure about it being worth the noise polution. It wasn't bad in the car.... but reved I had to roll up the windows if i wanted to hear anything.<P>------------------<BR>Thanks,<BR>Teri<BR>'93 MX-3 SE soon to be a GSR<P>http://www.geocities.com/warmachinex0/MX-3GSSE.html
DiGiTaL

Post by DiGiTaL »

Does any one know what the Brullen cat back exhaust sounds like??
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Why leave the OEM resonator in there? That's going to counter most any effect a free'er flowing exhauset has, if you're wanting performance out of it. I had a Hayame on my first GS, it sounded sweet. Real deep witn NO bumblebee sounds. Sounded alot like a Ferrari, (and I could shoot 11" flames out of it Image. it was 2.25" pipe, blown out cat, 24" glasspack for a resonator and the Hayame Type-1 with a 5" resonated tip. (tried putting the glasspack in to get rid of the well known K8 drone from 2-3k) Hayame has alot of new mufflers now since I got mine including a 3" dually style. (I'd like to try it)<BR>mason<BR>MX3SE<P>-I sold the Hayame to an RS owner, (John Van Camp), and he loves it, good deep sound, in case any RS owners are wondering.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
homeless328

Post by homeless328 »

hey does anybody know where to get taillight covers?
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Hey Homeless, I'm origanly from Slidell LA. If you see a deck Blue GS, with hood pins and a glasspack, and leather interior. Thats my old one.<P>------------------<BR>Thanks,<BR>Teri<BR>'93 MX-3 SE soon to be a GSR<P>http://www.geocities.com/warmachinex0/MX-3GSSE.html
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

Yeah, I love my Hayame!! I still have the OEM resonator in though...... Kinda scared to get rid of it!! lol. The Hayame I bought off of Mason sounds awesome. Makes my little 4-banger sound like a V-8!<P>Mason, if I were to get a different resonator, would it make it louder? It's pretty loud now (as you probably know Image). I want to improve a little more with the HP, and I was wondering if doing that and putting in a high-flow cat would help much?? Also soon I'm going to be putting in new pipes from the headers back. What do ya think?<P>John Van Camp<BR>94 white RS
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

We have a Tsudo muffler on our car 4-cyl DOHC and it sounds really cool. It is a nice low throaty sound at low RPM, but when you stand off on the throttle, it comes to life and lets you know it is there. Not too overpowering and it is pretty quiet from inside the car. If you are going to the Lone Star MX-3 meet, you will have a chance to hear it.
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

I guess a lot of the mufflers you guys are talking about sound good on the outside. But I'm concerned about the sound on the Inside.<P>Even though it may be a nice deep tone, I'd prefer not to hear that tone inside the car that much. I've been in a few cars with that tone inside, and I dunno, but I think I'd get sick of it pretty fast. I know I can turn up my sub or whatever, but still... <P>Thoughts? thanks.<P><P>------------------<BR>----<BR>Gary Mui ( gary.mui@sinnovations2.com )<BR>Sales Representative<BR>Streamline Innovations 2<BR>Vancouver, BC<BR>604.312.9588<BR><A HREF="http://www.sinnovations2.com" TARGET=_blank>www.sinnovations2.com </A><BR><A HREF="http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com" TARGET=_blank>mx3slimvisors.2ya.com </A>
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Hey John,<BR>You could do this, if you're really concerned with the sound from the Hayame... Go ahead and have new pipe from the cat-back bent, 2.25" style. Then, have the Hayame hung on the back. Testdrive it for a day, (that's what I did), and see what you think. You can always take it back to the exhaust shop and have them weld some sort of resonator in while the system's on the car. In my case, the drone was only apparent from 2-3k, would get really quiet before and after unless I had my "foot" into it. IMO, if you drive a stick, you can easily drive around this when you want, I've got an auto so I was stuck right in that range and also had the K8 engine which is known for it's drone factor in that range. I've got a theory that it's because the engine is lacking power because that's always seemed to be the weakest range in all my K8's. I've heard that the 4cyl doesn't really have this same drone. Ok, back to you John Image Yeah, I figure putting a different resonator in there would make it a bit louder. I never tried the OE one with my new pipe, I went straigt from no resonator to a glasspack, (on Val and Vaughn's advice). The thing with it was, I used the wrong type of pack. Apparently you can get a Thrush pack, (typically found everywhere), and some other type that's sposed to work better as a resonator. Ok, this is getting pretty dang long isn't it, LOL. Summary and additions, yeah, it'll probably get louder without the resonator but you can experiment there. A free flow cat should help out a bit, I know a blown out one does! The whole thing will definetly work better with the larger pipe. Ok, I'm gonna quit now, lol. Lemme know what you do and how you like it man!<P>mason<BR>MX3SE <P>-oh yeah, one more thing. On my last GS, it came with a Borla exhaust system with a Monza resonated tip. I have no clue where it came from but it's the dream system. Quiet unless honed on, has a good tone and gives better power/mpg. NO drone or anything annoying about it. It's got some sort of resonator in it but I dunno what as it was aluminized with the rest of the system. Now, to get that off the GS and on the SE Image

masonholmes@hotmail.com
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I added an obx muffler with 2.25" piping this weekend. Exhaust sounds Awsome! its real deep and sounds MEAN. My friends were like "HOLY SH**". PRoblem is, its loud, so Im going to add a resonator. iT soudns good though.<BR> <P>------------------<BR>Barry Clark<BR><I><B>Moderator</B></I><BR>1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS<BR>Chaste White<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com" TARGET=_blank>barrykclark.com</A><BR> barrykclark@hotmail.com
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Rick, that's cool. But I belive that it is one of the real restrictors in there as I've been told that by the big MX'ers and my exhaust guy. I fully understand the budget thing. You'll get a better sound by just adding a muffler and maybe a little more power, just not quite as much.<P>------------------<BR>mason<BR>MX3SE<BR>ICQ#44771740<BR>masonholmes@hotmail.com

masonholmes@hotmail.com

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”