TT KLZE project is ready to begin!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Sean Mandell

TT KLZE project is ready to begin!

Post by Sean Mandell »

I just got my block delivered and I have two garret t28s,a spearco intercooler, walbro 255, millenia injectors, tons of silicone hose, FMU, hot shot headers that i will modify, cm stage 2 with fidanza flywheel,ms engine mounts, denso plugs(iridium),magnacor wires,hyperground wires, i am probably forgeting stuff.<p>here is what i still need: bov,haltec stand alone, reinforcements(rods,pistons,ect.), millenia intake, and piping(i have no idea what size piping to use and how i will fit everything without butchering anything). I am not attempting this setup by myself and would like to get all the reliable input i can before i take my car to the fabrication shop.<p>Anything else I am forgetting? I plan to only boost about 7-10 psi but I would like some input on reinforcing the block cause I want to do it right the first time. Also if i could posibly get some ideas on piping size and routing(no a/c) i would be very thankful.<p>[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: nvrsrndr ]<p>[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: nvrsrndr ]</p>
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
lazzyie

Re: TT KLZE project is ready to begin!

Post by lazzyie »

Hmmm, why the desire for TT? You can't really boost a whole lot safely on the ZE bottom end because of the higher compression ratio. <p>I mean with a single turbo you could move the battery to the back and at least have more room to work with. <p>Which Millenia injectors did you get the 290s(98-) or 320s(99+)? <p>I think 1 1/2" off each bank to a 2" collector to the turbo with a 3" downpipe would suffice. I personally would go with one turbo though. <p>See if you can get custom reinforced drive shafts and an lsd conversion on an Mx-6 tranny otherwise you are just going to break axles and wear out the tranny pretty quick.<p>I'd say stage 3 clutch as well at least or a stage 2R off of www.RR-racing.com. <p>Make sure your suspension is upgraded too with new bushings and struts(maybe some moderate lower springs).<p>You should poly fill mazdaspeed motor mounts to try to hold some of the power. <p>I am just thinking of all the things I have broke with just a ZE I can't even fathom how much stuff will break on a turbo ZE. Good luck man let us know how it goes.<p>[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: lazzyie ]</p>
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
maldo

Post by maldo »

What are the specs for those T28s?<p>I would suggest 2" intercooler piping to keep pressures up. You may want 2.25" going to the throttle body.<p>You should be able to run low boost with the factory internals. If you get bit by the boost bug (and you will) you will want to lower the compression for sure. I would suggest 9:1CR for quick spool up.
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

I plan on mounting the turbo on each exhaust mani. I know the tranny is the weak link as well as the axles but I could get custom axles and source out a lsd from the j-spec mx-6 <p>I am using 2001 klze which has a 9.2:1 ratio which would be a better candidate for boost.<p>I am wondering if they make forged pistons and reinforced rods for the 2.5 or do i need to get them custom made. also does anyone think that the millenia s injectors would be enough for 7-8psi or do i need to get the rx7 ones.<p>I know that most of you guys think im full of poo but I have the money to burn and i am jonzing for turbo power. plus i think the haltech will make tuning a lot easier and i would love an mx-3 porshe killer!
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nvrsrndr:
I am using 2001 klze which has a 9.2:1 ratio which would be a better candidate for boost.<hr></blockquote><p>
a KL engine with 9.2:1 is in fact a KLDE and not a KLZE<p>DE - North America - 9.2:1 Compression
ZE - Japan - 10:1 Compression<p>(I'm not sure where else ZE's and DE's are located, so im not gonna look like an idiot and guess :D )
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
<p>
a KL engine with 9.2:1 is in fact a KLDE and not a KLZE
<hr></blockquote><p>Actually if u did your homework you would find that any klze from 2001 and up has this ratio and the hp rating is a little lower at 192hp and 160lb torque. I have done some research on this and it is fact! :p
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

I'll say that you definately don't want to lower the compression on the motor, even if you get the boost bug.<p>The combustion chambers on the K series have a lot of quench area, and with a good set of pistons, ala Endyn, I'd actually raise compression to 10.0:1. Rods would need to be beefed up(along with some ARP hardware to go with them), and as I said, a set of custom pistons would be great.<p>(somebody has to be pro high compression turbos since David left)
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nvrsrndr:
<p>Actually if u did your homework you would find that any klze from 2001 and up has this ratio and the hp rating is a little lower at 192hp and 160lb torque. I have done some research on this and it is fact! :p <hr></blockquote><p>Where did you get your engine from? Have you checked the numbers? I was under the impression that the 98+up KL engines wouldnt work. I believe Vaughn noted something about the intake mani/VRIS system or something was different and we wouldnt be able to control it with a stock ECU. I'm also having trouble finding any 2001 model mazda's that used the ZE engine. A little more information regarding your source would answer those questions.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
maldo

Post by maldo »

I am all for high CR boosted engines but I also know how most of the guys on this forum tune their cars. Considering the horse piss gas that is available and no mention of a standalone, for safety sake I would lower the compression. Nothing beats the spool up of a higher CR engine. I noticed a huge improvement going from 7.8:1CR to 9.0:1CR on the B6T, 10:1CR would be insane.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<p>Actually if u did your homework you would find that any klze from 2001 and up has this ratio and the hp rating is a little lower at 192hp and 160lb torque. I have done some research on this and it is fact! :p <hr></blockquote><p>
Doh! Guess im 'da fool<p>Wait, that doesnt make sence, ZE with 9.2:1? Looks like ill haftao some hoemwork
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

stand alone is the only option with this setup and I will probably go with the haltech. The reason why twin turboing is what i want is because u can utilize both banks instead of just one and it would run more efficient with stand alone. high compression engines don't need high boost levels to make a good amount of usable power. I think 7psi on klze will make just as much power than 12psi on the kl03. high compression forged pistons and heavy duty rods will be enough to boost up to 18psi but our tranny will not agree.<p>If you have a 94+ mx-3 you can use any klze. mine was handpicked and came from australia and not from japan. <p>let the argument begin on single or twin turbos. If there was a way to set up a single turbo that would run off both banks and maintain efficiency, I am all ears.
maldo

Post by maldo »

Single turbo systems do run of both 3 cyl banks and are just as efficient. Twin turbo systems are more complex but can be equally efficient. :shrug:
dkrangers

Post by dkrangers »

Hey man, sounds cool, keep us posted on what happens. I wish I had enough money to do just a single turbo kit on my KLZE. I hope you get what your want in power.
TopGun

Post by TopGun »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by maldo:
Single turbo systems do run of both 3 cyl banks and are just as efficient. Twin turbo systems are more complex but can be equally efficient. :shrug: <hr></blockquote><p>Would you say significantly more complex? Wouldn't this have to be some kind of sequential turbo system, or you would get imbalances since one side of your engine might be getting different A/F ratios than the other - sounds like you'd need some kind of monster engine management system to do twin turbos properly.
Speed Kills - Drive a honda, live forever...
maldo

Post by maldo »

Not sequential, essentially you are running 2 turbo 3 cylinder engines. You would need 2 turbos, 2 intercoolers or one that accepts dual inlet/outlets, dual wastegates, possibly dual exhaust, etc. Ever work on a 300zx-tt? They are a PITA to work on, I imagine things would be just as insanely cramped in the MX-3 engine bay. I wouldn't do it but that is just me. Yes it would be cool but it would also be double the cost. :shrug:

Return to “Forced Induction”