FMIC or SMIC?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mattkm

FMIC or SMIC?

Post by mattkm »

Hey Guys-
I was wondering if anyone has tried using a SMIC...looked around the UBB and couldn't find any pro's, con's or even attempts. I am considering this route in order to reduce the length of piping. Thanks
Hy300

Re: FMIC or SMIC?

Post by Hy300 »

A side mount intercooler (in a small MX-3 bay) would definitely not get as much of fresh, cool, air flow as a FMIC. Not only would it not be getting good airflow, but it would probably absorb some heat from being so close to the engine.<p>If you are worried about piping length increasing lag then run a smaller diameter pipe to compensate for velocity decrease caused by the regular diameter piping. I'm sure someone can help you with the measurments.
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

check out my turbo setup post! I am already using a side mount IC using the fog light port to provide fresh air to it. I use also the other fog light port as a cold air intake for my turbo! you won´t escape the need of cutting some metal in order to make room for these functions.
European Mx3 GsRT
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Couldnt you attatch an electric fan to the intercooler?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

very possible with modifications. Although I don't see really see huge bennefits other than keeping the hot air away a little more. Anything is possible and may actually work really well. Only one way to find out I gess :shrug:
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

heres how my i/c is. its the eclipse side mount. i took a big pic so you could get an idea. sorry for the big pic.<p>Image<p>[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: natural born honda killer ]</p>
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
maldo

Post by maldo »

Do you have any ducting to that?<p>Curious as to the available space to try a V-mount setup. You would have to cut out the metal running alongside the top of the radiator but it only serves cosmetic purposes. A new section of frame for the engine crossmember would have to be designed (been there, done that). It is a much more affective design than side mount and front mount. The CF vented hood would need to be redesigned with a larger opening to allow air to exit the i/c. A lot of work but definitely possible.
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

i dont have a duct or anything but i cut the plastic piece down at the bottom off to let air come up but it doesnt matter for very much longer cause im gonna install my starion fmic when money permits. hopefully in a few months.
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
mattkm

Post by mattkm »

Its good to know that other people have tried this. I guess the best way to find out is to do it...I like that fan idea though...combine that with some sorta heat shielding and the heat might not be too bad. Anyways thanx for pics and opinions!
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

actually i ordered my gsx smic from ebay and i plan on using that duct from the front air dam between the headlights to the airbox to cool the smic... less piping, less lag. of course i plan on a fmic after a year or so.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Yes, an electric fan would be beneficial to remove heat from the intercooler especially at low speeds and when stopped.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

A VERY large fan would be needed to make much of a differance. I'd suggest using an aluminized heat barrier sheet on heat shield(summit has it). To making up for the lack of air flow I'd suggest the NX N-tercooler kit & or a Aquamist water injection system when running the car under full throttle. Of course a water-air intercooler would be your best bet for a "stealth" setup. The water to air is the most efficient setup however is heavier an MUCH more complicated! You'ld have to find an additional spot for the water pump etc... Another Idea is to do the IC between the Intake manifold and the fire wall & use a hood scoop which would force feed the air over top of your IC. It would be VERY efficient and use a little shorter piping. You could always do a custom hood and top mount IC (kinda like a WRX). Hope these ideas are helpfull!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

What about using a ram-air type scoop located under the car and plumb it to the side mount intercooler so as to provide fresh air cool air at high speeds. Then a small fan can be use on the back of the SMIC, and use the fan to pull cool air through the SMIC and warm air away.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

there's a piece of the airbox that goes over your radiator shroud thing... it kinda collects air coming in from the top dam and routes it to the air filter location.. im planning on using that and mounting my gsx intercooler there, but right now its still in the 'planning' stage. idno if it'll supply enough air to my SMIC.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

It definitely won't, that plastic piece is much more restictive than the airbox itself simply because of it's method of routing the air. It forces the air that would be flowing in a straight line to make a drastic 90* turn through a very small pipe.<p>I really think a 3" pipe would be better for routing the air from somewhere else. Plus, mounting the IC lower keeps it away from engine heat. It may add a few inches of piping, but it can be a big difference in the air temp flowing over the IC when you're moving.

Return to “Forced Induction”