Good N20 Reading?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
92GS_STL_MO

Good N20 Reading?

Post by 92GS_STL_MO »

Here it goes... I read a lot of posts on here, and I am on my second MX-3 I did the K8 swap on my previous MX-3 and plan to do a swap on my current model, I want to know a little more about giggle gas before I consider it an option. My friends "know it all" cause they have go fast vinyl and have memmorised the F&F script. but the funny thing is not a one of em seems to be able to give me the skinny on what my best bets are. I am looking for some reading material, any resources that are printed and not from the mouths of babes would be great. I am trying not to hack this one up. I would likee to do this right. I am still trying to determine if N20 will be more cost effective than doing a turbo, a turbo seems to require more electronics and tinkering that I was begining to get tired of with the last swap. any help is appreciated. thank you
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: Good N20 Reading?

Post by Mnemonic »

actually one of the best things about most of the major companies that make the kits is they furnish you with tons of information on there websites, so the best thing would be go to there websites and read up on it
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Cost wise you can't beat the "bang for the buck" of a nitours system. Although this is only power on demand. Normal driving is in no way affected. Good if you like to only race at the track. If you want an overall faster car a turbo would be the way to go because if you kept spraying to make your car faster you'd rack up the coin on filling the bottle. I believe it's around $20 a pop to fill those babies. You can get a decent turbo setup for under $1500. This will give you power all thru the powerband. Most of us opt to turbo because speed is addictive and we don't only want it for bursts at a time. There are some people that install N20 just because it's cheaper, but most will eventually go to turbo. I have included some links at the bottom of the post that you can look thru. But when you say you want reading, do you mean you want to know how to install, how to use, or what kit to buy?<p>How to plumb Direct Port Nitrous
Street/Strip Nitrous Oxide
Installing N20 on a Probe GT (The KL03 engine is basically the same as the K8)<p>And if you are still thinking about turbo
Turbocharging the KL03 engine
DIY Turbocharging
Best reading on turbocharging an engine that I have found
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
92GS_STL_MO

Post by 92GS_STL_MO »

Thanks for the responses guys, and i was wanting the reading material on all of the above. I see all the people doing wild and crazy things with thier MX-3s with the whole turbo setups, my major problems are my mechanical experience and know how prevent me from doing a turbo on my daily driver until i do a swap again. I was going to leave the 1.8 in there til it died but like you said speed is an addiction and my problem is i cant afford to spend 2000 bucks on a custom turbo and then have to tinker ALL the time to get a dependable daily driver if you know of any kits to turbo one of these puppys with the old KL08 i would be in good shape
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Actually I believe there is a system that has been built for the K8. It's made by Thomas Knight Turbo's. There is a lot of debate going on about the quality of his products. Some people like them, some people don't. I have included a link to his site just in case you decide you want it. It's also kind of expensive. If I were you I'd check out my last link in my other post. Buy that book and read about turbo's. Then you will be able to at least build it on paper, and buy the parts. Then you can have a shop install it. It would cost less that way then to buy a prefab turbo kit. Just my opinions :) <p>Thomas Knight Turbo's<p>On a side note, I'd be a little afraid of a company that's website is hosted on a free server like GeoCities. :shrug: Also I think I heard that www.Corksport.com is building a turbo for the K8 and the KL03.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
92GS_STL_MO

Post by 92GS_STL_MO »

I was reading a lot about TKT and his supercharger kits and Until I read more positive remarks on his drive systems and his choise of shielding etc i think i'll stick with a company that i can trust ( like corksport ive had a good relationship with them in the past) I will like you said need to build it on paper first to weigh my alternatives. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to my questions. another quick one for you, do any of you know if its possible to do a reliable turbo setup or run N20 on a KL-ZE i have read that the cam setup isn't relly setup timing wise to make a good abnormally asperated motor (that was originally my motor of choice but alas i settled for the ole 626 motor) i was very impressed with the KL-08s additional torque and response but wanted just a little more.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 92GS_STL_MO:
I was very impressed with the KL-08s additional torque and response but wanted just a little more.<hr></blockquote><p>I am going to assume you meant the KL03 since there is no such thing as a KL08 engine. :) (just bein a smart a$$)<p>actually yes, there have been a few people that have turbocharged the KLZE engine. Search [url=http://www.probetalk.com,]www.probetalk.com,[/url] and www.mx6.com. Both places should have information on turboing the KLZE. Also there has been a LOT of discussion on this board concerning it. I dunno if you know of the search, but there is a button on the top right of the screen that will let you search the archives from this board. The reason most people opt for the KL03 for their turbo project is because of the added margin of error. The higher compression ratio in the KLZE will make it a little more prone to detonation so tuning has to be more presice. Although like I have pointed out in previous threads, the gains relalized on the KLZE will be greater than on the KL03. What I mean by this is 14psi on the KL03 will produce about the same power as 8psi on the KLZE. (not precise math, just an estimation) This is actually because of the higher CR of this engine. Also, I believe the Cams from the MX-6 version of the KLZE are milder and better suited for the FI setup (or so I have been told) I was told to get the MX-6 KLZE and a curved neck manifold for the best options on turbocharging the KLZE. The research on this is by no means prominent, but you should be able to find it if you search the three forums I pointed out. If you have anymore questions, just post them, or you can also feel free to email or IM me anytime. Good luck man.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”