opinions on best clutch kit for ...

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
OsoSlo z28

opinions on best clutch kit for ...

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

boosted/high hp applications.<p>i'm looking into getting another clutch due to the fact that i fried my current setup. i'm looking into the following:<p>Centerforce
Clutchmasters
ACT(again)<p>if you have any input to any of these or have another setup to suggest, please feel free to reply.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
David Coleman

Re: opinions on best clutch kit for ...

Post by David Coleman »

The Probe guys who have CM's and even just 8psi or a 50 shot end up with a slipping clutch. Even the stage 3's. <p>I think my next clutch will be a pressure plate like I have [~1600# ACT] and a 6 puck disc. Haven't decided on unsprung or sprung hub yet, though the sprung hub will be much more streetable and kind to the gearbox.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Ive heard by a few people that kevlar clutches chatter on mazda/probe trannies. My friend has a 97 PGT, his chanttered. AFter changing it 3x, he went back to OEM cause he became sick of the chatter.
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

ok I had the ACT racing clutch with four puck disc. Then bc I was young and stupid, I broke my differential. The clutch grabbed soooooo hard, we were always seeing who we give whiplash too and such. <p>Man being young and dumb, cost me lots of money, but oh well, its all part of the time i guess. <p>Anyways, it was a very good clutch. I would recomend it to anyone who knows when to play and when not to.<p>Dominic
RIP 95 rs
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

at the moment i'm leaning more towards a dual-friction centerforce clutch. <p>i have an ACT which might be a good clutch but do to the current circumstances it sucks :D not sure if i want to go as hard as a 4 or 6 puck disc. if i did, it would def be a sprung hub. if i got another ACT, i'd def get the xtreme pp over the heavy duty pp(the one i have now). <p>does anyone know if the ACT release bearing is the same size as the stock replacement?
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:
at the moment i'm leaning more towards a dual-friction centerforce clutch. <p>i have an ACT which might be a good clutch but do to the current circumstances it sucks :D not sure if i want to go as hard as a 4 or 6 puck disc. if i did, it would def be a sprung hub. if i got another ACT, i'd def get the xtreme pp over the heavy duty pp(the one i have now). <p>does anyone know if the ACT release bearing is the same size as the stock replacement?<hr></blockquote>
I have this clutch and with just a 50 shot it slipped. I did the break in and it still did not perform well. Call corksport cuz I know Derrick has a new type of ACT and it looks like it should work.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

what happened to your mx-6 clutch cre8v mx3
thats what i got hope it;s alright
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

my clutch might have been ok. i'm sure you'll be alright. what happened is when we put it in, the slave cyl rod wasn't able to release all the way due to the pedal height adjustment stopping it from fully releasing along with the free-play adjustment wasn't right either. because of this, it would slip very bad which i'm sure heated it up quite a bit killing it before the break-in period. we shaved the rod and it worked fine. a couple months ago i noticed it slipped just a little in 5th at highway speeds and then getting on it. now it's getting worse so i'm looking into getting a whole new kit since this one is shot.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I wouldn't recommend the Centerforce Dual friction...I had a bad experiance with it. I had it on the my modified N/A SOHC & it sliped a little every once and a while. This was before I started doing all my own work. It was "profesionaly" installed, these guys worked on Jags, Porsche, etc.. Anyway they know what their doing on an OEM level if ya know what I mean. Thats why I do my own work now, I've pretty much redone everthing they did (about 95%) and did the rest myself (they installed the motor originaly).<p>I've broken the differenital in two different F25M-R trannies with the Centerforce Dual Friction, even though it was slipping. I even reinstalled the clutch myself with no change. When changing to the Pro LX drive train I went with the same ACT clutch setup Derrick @ Corksport uses in thier high 11sec Protege Drag Car. At first it sliped a little, then I found a leaky remain as the cause (the "profesionals" were supposed to do all new belts in seals so it wasn't a supprise when I found it leaking). Once I replaced the rear main & the clutch dried out it hasn't sliped since. It spins the tires till you hit 55mph which is the end of second gear for me (rev limiter sucks at 6350RPM) with no clutch slippage. I did a burnout 1st, 2nd, & let off it after part of 3rd with no slippage. I LOVE the ACT setup! If your worried about sliping at increased HP levels just use the Xtreme pressure plate, AKA "the tranny breaker" with a sprung semi-metallic disc. The sprung hub disc will help you prevent the pressure plate from living up to it's nick name! ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

My 2 cents...I swear by 'Bully' clutch. They make a stage 1 and stage 2 clutch for the MX3. Pretty inexpensive and numbers seem better than Centerforce. www.bullyclutch.com
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

First check the rear seal, that can cause a slip.<p>centre force dual is bad , Brandon from PI in Guelph had one slip all the time then he went to a cm 3 and it was good.<p>I run a cm4 and the chatter is not bad you have to drive different ; high engage rpm to get the car rolling then lower rpm to let it out , if you drive it like a normal clutch it with chatter like hell.<p>I've had the cm for a year and put 10k of stop and go + about 30 1/4 mile runs without taking my foot off the gas and it still gets rubbber in third
13.023 @ 105 mph
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

ok, now it's down to this:<p>clutchmasters stage 4
ACT xtreme pp with street disc
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

A bit off topic, but that does the different stages in clutches mean?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I'd recommend you call Derrick @ Corksport...<p>He set me up with the same ACT clutch kit they are using in ther 11sec 1/4 mile Protege. It sliped on me a little at first because of a leaky rear main seal. Once I replaced the rear main...it dried out & has sliped since. I had my car hanging with my friends 9.0sec 1/8 mile LS/VTEC Del Sol. I've been HAMMERING the gears ruthlesly for months now...still no slipping...even when doing a burn out through third gear on dry pavement!!! ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i talk to derrick every now and then. we were discussing the act with the xtreme pp and street disc. the only reason i'm looking at the cm's setup is because my friends 12 sec crx has one.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics

Return to “Forced Induction”