Auto Trans... are they good for turbo?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Delilah

Auto Trans... are they good for turbo?

Post by Delilah »

hey guys...i was just wondering cuz like i dont know much about turbos but, can you get a turbo when you have an automatic transmission? some guy i know that works at a performance shop where im at, says that he could custom me a turbo. I dont know what kind or anything but thats what he said i dunno cuz im a girl.. :p
Rayman

Re: Auto Trans... are they good for turbo?

Post by Rayman »

transmission has nothing to do with the turbo....there are plenty of ATX talon tsi/eclipse turbo around. just be careful ur not being taken advantage of....
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

I don't know about the GS auto, but the RS auto is weak and can't handle much more than the stock output, if you own an RS and turbo it definetly look at getting a new tranny.
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Nooo!, not a good idea to turbo an auto MX3.
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

what about with an MX-6 tranny swap?
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vicious:
Nooo!, not a good idea to turbo an auto MX3.<hr></blockquote><p>oh yea?? wait a year.. you'll be seeing two auto turbo mx3s around san diego and one of them on this board.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by marshmallow15:
<p>oh yea?? wait a year.. you'll be seeing two auto turbo mx3s around san diego and one of them on this board.<hr></blockquote><p>and 1 turbo DE auto in virginia
;)
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

the stock slushbox is very weak and cannot handle any power. i would never recomend this to anyone. it is possible but not safe or reliable. the goveners in the trannies are very low pressure so slippage occurs. when slippage occurs damage occurs. then eventually no worky.. unfortunately mazda was more concerned with harsh shifting and hard kickdowns then power handling. they ran a lower pressure govener and softer accumulators to compensate for this. you can adjust the pressure but i advise against it. bottom line is that the mx3 was designed with the stock power levels in mind. and trannies wont last with much more power than they already have, if they even last that..
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by boostedmx:
the stock slushbox is very weak and cannot handle any power. i would never recomend this to anyone. it is possible but not safe or reliable. and trannies wont last with much more power than they already have, if they even last that..<hr></blockquote><p>
I entirely agree. Boost a slushbox if you enjoy replacing gearboxes. Or if you want to dump a few grand into upgrading your stock slushbox.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

Upgrading the torque converter will help for boosting a Auto trannie. There are a few that has done this. But definetly not a good idea to boost on a stock trannie.
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

i would like to know how the torque converter helps a tranny hold more power??? :shrug:
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE

Return to “Forced Induction”