got a wierd vibration under the hood......

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
KRYSTAKITTY2

got a wierd vibration under the hood......

Post by KRYSTAKITTY2 »

I cant pin point it, and I'm not an expert on cars, but theres a vibration when im stopped at a light, and it stops when I put it neutral. Is this going to be expensive?????
Bbqman218

Re: got a wierd vibration under the hood......

Post by Bbqman218 »

I have the same problem! I have put new Mounts in because they were either torn or bent. But the Vibration still exists. I still havent had the injectors cleaned, but put in STP fuel injector cleaner. I still havent felt a difference. Do you also have a hard shift from 1st to 2nd? I think the problem lies somewhere with the intake and air gas ratio? Im still puzzled myself, <BR>
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Does your car also make this noise when running in Park? Does it stop if you turn off the A/C or increase the RPMs? My truck had a rattle that was driving me crazy. It was my grille vibrating against the headlight housing. You might have something simple like that happening to yours. Most likely what is happening is that the idle of your car is just right to cause this loose object to start vibrating. If this happens when idleing in Park/Neutral, then go to the front of the car and see if you can track down the sound. It might be your hood vibrating. Try this and let us know what you find.
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I just reread your post. I bet the reason that it stops in Neutral is because the RPMs increase because there is no load against the transmission. Is this an automatic or standard transmission?
KRYSTAKITTY2

Post by KRYSTAKITTY2 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RanMan:<BR><B>I just reread your post. I bet the reason that it stops in Neutral is because the RPMs increase because there is no load against the transmission. Is this an automatic or standard transmission?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Its an auto, and it does do it worse when im runnin the air too. It also does it in park, but not as bad. Damn, it just started this 3 days ago, and here i was thinking I had tranny probs..... dumb blond..... lol.
KRYSTAKITTY2

Post by KRYSTAKITTY2 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RanMan:<BR><B>Does your car also make this noise when running in Park? Does it stop if you turn off the A/C or increase the RPMs? My truck had a rattle that was driving me crazy. It was my grille vibrating against the headlight housing. You might have something simple like that happening to yours. Most likely what is happening is that the idle of your car is just right to cause this loose object to start vibrating. If this happens when idleing in Park/Neutral, then go to the front of the car and see if you can track down the sound. It might be your hood vibrating. Try this and let us know what you find.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I cheked it out, and its close to the dirver side , by the air itake but underneth somewhere. Maybbe a bad bearing in the fans? BAd water pump bearing? god, I dont know. I also thoght it might be the steering, but wouldnt it rattle in neutral too? I do know I have a bad cv joint, is that it, warning me to repace it? HELPP!!!<BR>.....dumb blonde....
white fish

Post by white fish »

The water pump is on the passanger side the tranny is on the driver side<BR>But its prob. something simple what you can do is take a 2 foot length of hose put one end to your ear and the other in the engine bay(be careful) and try and find the noise that way<P>------------------<BR>Clear White 2.5L GSR
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

White fish is right (like I also said). Most likely something simple, vibrating against something else. Did the noise stop when you increased the RPMs (step on the gas)? A piece of hose will work fine, but if you have (or can get) a stethescope, that would be better. If you are not sure what a stethescope is, it is what the doctor wears around his/her neck to listen to your heart/lungs (I am sure you know what I mean now). Whether you use a stethescope or a piece of hose, the noise will get louder as you get closer to the part that is making it. Try to pinpoint this part and then see if grabbing it will make the noise stop. Use common sense and do not grab the piece that you think is making noise if it is hot or rotating (DUH)!
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

One prob i had with the last MX-3 i owned was a heat sheild cam loose off the exaust. it was a metal vibrating sound that came from the drivers side. After I found it i just removed it.<P>------------------<BR>Thanks,<BR>Teri<BR>'93 MX-3 SE soon to be a GSR<P>http://www.geocities.com/warmachinex0/MX-3GSSE.html
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Yup, I get the heat sheild vibration when I turn on the AC. Need to get it outta there, just haven't been using the AC nuff to care, hehe. Hey Krysta, what's it idle at in N and D? I just started having some slight idling prob's the other day. If it's idling low, it'll cause stuff to vibrate.<BR>mason<BR>MX3SE-auto
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
KRYSTAKITTY2

Post by KRYSTAKITTY2 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by masonholmes:<BR><B>Yup, I get the heat sheild vibration when I turn on the AC. Need to get it outta there, just haven't been using the AC nuff to care, hehe. Hey Krysta, what's it idle at in N and D? I just started having some slight idling prob's the other day. If it's idling low, it'll cause stuff to vibrate.<BR>mason<BR>MX3SE-auto</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>it idles pretty low, but the heat shield sounds about right, mabee ill just yoink that stupid thing out. its hot here so i have to use the ac. too bad it uses my gas faster... the gas prices out here are stupid. $ 1.67 for 1, yes, just 1 gallon of regular. I Hate orange county... anyways, thanks for the help you guys, you are the best!
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

How low? It shouldn't really idle lower than 500rpm. I've found 5-700rpm as normal, Uunless of course it's cold or I have the AC on or somthin. Right now mine keeps wanting to idle at 300rpm, (I have no clue why), which causes some vibration. And Orange county, that's southern Cali isn't it? I might be driving out there next summer to visit a "friend", maybe we could hook up or somthing Image<P>mason<BR>MX3SE
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com

Post by Guest »

I think their is a Miscommunications problem on this post. She said that her car idles rough and goes away in neutral and Park, Not that something is loose and vibrating. But you can feel a vibration through the steering wheel when at a stop light and feel the entire car vibrate. It is in the mazda recalls topic , and the solution was to check the motor mounts. I too have the vibration problem through the steering wheel. Mazda told me to change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and get a fuel injector cleaning. They wanted around $475 to do it.
rikymaru

Post by rikymaru »

If its a recall, arent they required to do it?
Elena, don't misunderstand. A pro isn't someone who sacrifices themselves for their job. That is just a fool.

Post by Guest »

I said the wrong word, as usual, It is a mazda Technical Bulletin. not a Recall.<BR> It shows how to go about solving it in the first two topics under "Technical Bulletins"<P>

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”