gains?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
OsoSlo z28

Re: gains?

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

if and when you reach 200-250whp you might have problems with the tranny. torque is actually what kills the tranny, but most people focus on hp goals, so it's easier to relate hp than tq. if you reach 250whp(horse power to the wheels) your torque to the wheels could be around 230-240ft-lbs. i'm not up to par on the tranny strengths. jesse or david would know more about this than me. i'm still learning as well :D
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

Oh I see! I wont have to worry about that for a little while, since ill be dead broke after a swap. Anyways, thanks for all the help, really appreciated :) !
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

my personal opinion is if you're not wanting to get a new tranny, just stick with the b6t. if you're willing to go the extra step, get the bpt. if you're going to do it, might as well do it right the first time.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG>.....if you're going to do it, might as well do it right the first time.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree with that. Nothing is worth doing if it's not done right. If you want the high HP gains in the end, it would cost you alot more to put the B6T and then swap the BPT in later. YOu can go to a junkyard and get the pretege tranny for under $200. I'm sure if you can do the swap yourself, then the cost could be under $1500.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>I agree with that. Nothing is worth doing if it's not done right. If you want the high HP gains in the end, it would cost you alot more to put the B6T and then swap the BPT in later. YOu can go to a junkyard and get the pretege tranny for under $200. I'm sure if you can do the swap yourself, then the cost could be under $1500.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Protege trannies are a bit more expensive than 200 bucks. Id figure on ~350 if you want one in decent shape.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
aznwithamx3

Post by aznwithamx3 »

is there a tranny that can go with the bpt that can handle about than 300whp?
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P>Protege trannies are a bit more expensive than 200 bucks. Id figure on ~350 if you want one in decent shape.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>From a junkyard? Here you can get any tranny for $200, and turbo for $50, any engine for $350, ect. It's not dependant on the year, make, model or anything like that.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>From a junkyard? Here you can get any tranny for $200, and turbo for $50, any engine for $350, ect. It's not dependant on the year, make, model or anything like that.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Hmmm, ok...not what ive seen... is this at a u-pull-it yard??<P>IIRC, David got his for ~225 from a special deal at CS...and i knew the owner of the junkyard for mine that i got for 200.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>Hmmm, ok...not what ive seen... is this at a u-pull-it yard??<P>IIRC, David got his for ~225 from a special deal at CS...and i knew the owner of the junkyard for mine that i got for 200.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes it's at a pick and pull yard.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the cheapest i found mine was about 400 at any type of yard from here to texas. but the condition and demand has a lot to do with it.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>I agree with that. Nothing is worth doing if it's not done right. If you want the high HP gains in the end, it would cost you alot more to put the B6T and then swap the BPT in later. YOu can go to a junkyard and get the pretege tranny for under $200. I'm sure if you can do the swap yourself, then the cost could be under $1500.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There is no way in hell I can do the swap on my own! I wish I could but im no mechanic!<P>This is what corksport told me what i needed for the swap:<P>''The BPT swap is a bolt in with the correct parts.<P><BR>Parts list<BR>90-94 Protege LX transmission, motor mounts, brackets, axles, flywheel.<BR>90-94 Protege LX clutch<BR>Intercooler (custom or used from another car)<BR>Blow off valve<BR>Intercooler piping, silicone hose piece, hose clamps<BR>Larger fuel pump either new or one used from a turbo RX7<BR>Japanese BPT ECU and wiring, or Reprogrammed stock ECU, or a Apex Super AFC<P><BR>The engine and transmission bolt together with the protege flywheel and clutch. The whole assembly bolts into the car with no cutting or welding.<P>Running intercooler piping is the most difficult part of the entire swap because there is no easy access around the radiator. We usually run the piping around the passenger side and back through the drivers side below the headlights.<P>The stock distributor work since the engine firing order is the same. You will want to use your stock engine wiring unless you get a BPT wiring loom and ECU. ''<P>So by gettin all of this, from what I can understand, the swap would barely cost 2000$?<BR>(plus labor)
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patapouf:<BR><STRONG><P>There is no way in hell I can do the swap on my own! I wish I could but im no mechanic!<P>This is what corksport told me what i needed for the swap:<P>''The BPT swap is a bolt in with the correct parts.<P><BR>Parts list<BR>90-94 Protege LX transmission, motor mounts, brackets, axles, flywheel.<BR>90-94 Protege LX clutch<BR>Intercooler (custom or used from another car)<BR>Blow off valve<BR>Intercooler piping, silicone hose piece, hose clamps<BR>Larger fuel pump either new or one used from a turbo RX7<BR>Japanese BPT ECU and wiring, or Reprogrammed stock ECU, or a Apex Super AFC........So by gettin all of this, from what I can understand, the swap would barely cost 2000$?<BR>(plus labor)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>have you priced anything in that list? <BR>average prices:<BR>bpt:990<BR>tranny:400<BR>cv axles:150 for both<BR>jack-shaft:40<BR>flywheel:40<BR>brackets:15<BR>clutch:380<BR>i/c:50-200depending on size/condition<BR>bov:75-200depending on type/condition<BR>i/c piping:150<BR>rx7 fuel pump:100<BR>reprogrammed ecu:270 or s-afc:250-300<P>this is all w/o labor(except for the i/c piping). there are other things you're going to need...vac hoses, belts, oil and filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, etc. so there's some more research to go into this. don't forget..there's always unexpected expenses when doing this type of project.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
patapouf

Post by patapouf »

Screw it! over 4000$cdn! I cant afford that! (sigh) :confused:

Return to “Forced Induction”